Broomwood/Northcote

3 posts
AtlanticMummy78
Options:
Share this post on:

Broomwood/Northcote

Postby AtlanticMummy78 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 pm

We are a family with two boys returning after a couple of years overseas (where the boys have stayed in the British school system). We are returning at pretty terrible transition point - right at the end of years 1 and year 5! So The boys will need to start year 2 and 6. Our youngest is very bright and able but our eldest is an August born and needs a less pressurised, less exam focussed environment. I really don't want to have him doing 11+ and pre testing just a few months after we move back. For this reason I am considering Broomwood Hall/Northcote Lodge for both boys, mainly due to the fact the school is adding a secondary next year. Does anyone have any insight into the schools for boys? I would like both of them to be together. Our house is just a couple of miles away.
Thank you!
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Broomwood/Northcote

Postby dudette » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 am

I’m not a Broomwood/Northcote parent but (hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong) I think the Broomwood senior school is just for girls. Pretty much all the senior schools (including London day schools) now require pre-testing at 11, even for 13+ entry, so you will have your work cut out trying to find somewhere where he won’t have to pre-test. I think I’ve heard Dulwich College (which has a big 13+ intake but is switching to 11+ pre-testing) will have 20 places for year 9 with testing in year 8 but I imagine the competition for those could be tough. I think you need to start doing some research into senior schools’ entry requirements but in any case, your son will be in a class of boys at Northcote Lodge pretty much all of whom will be doing pre-testing and/or 11+ so it will be hard for him to avoid. Do Northcote Lodge even have places in year 6? As you say, it’s not a year when children would typically leave the school. I think it might be a case of being a beggar rather than a chooser so it’s worth looking at more schools in the area. And I think you need to rethink him not doing testing unless you are considering state schools. If he’s struggling already you could maybe find him a tutor to help him before you get back to the UK. It might even be worth asking, as he’s August-born, if he can be put in year 5 again, which would give him some breathing space before embarking on the dreaded exams. It’s a minefield, especially as the day schools have only this year introduced 11+ pre-testing for year 9 entry (or done away with 13+ completely). You need to do a lot of research. Good luck!
Flumpadump
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Broomwood/Northcote

Postby Flumpadump » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 am

Just to add that NorthWood Senior will DEFINITELY be mixed and not just for girls.
Hope this helps!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.