Transferring to another school after reception within Wandsworth

3 posts
Songbirdy
Options:
Share this post on:

Transferring to another school after reception within Wandsworth

Postby Songbirdy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Has anyone applied to do this?

I am thinking of trying to get my son into a school I had thought was unrealistic at reception (I didn't even put it in my preferences, which I feel so foolish about now!), but after reading a bit think he might have a chance in a later year.

I was advised by the other school to fill in an application form, but on the Wandsworth site it says that it needs to be done through the school.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this? Feels like it might be an awkward situation, especially if he doesn't get in!

From the website:
'If your child already has a place in a Wandsworth school but you want him/her to transfer to a different school in Wandsworth, you should discuss this with the Headteacher of their current school before making an application.

If a change of school is necessary, you should first find out if there are places available at other local schools by contacting the schools or the Council's Pupil Services team. You will need to obtain an 'in-year' transfer application form from your child's current school. The form has a section which must be completed by the school.'
jgh78
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Transferring to another school after reception within Wandsworth

Postby jgh78 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:15 am

We did something like this - in our case to move our son to our local school that was over subscribed and we couldn't get into initially

I believe the council delete the entire school waiting list at the end of reception as they make the assumption that everyone has settled. Their if you wish to stay on waiting list for a school after reception then yes you need to fill in a form and get your current head teacher to sign. I don't think it should be awkward if you have a positive reason for the change. Then once the form is done you deal with the council who will tell you when a place arises.
bluebonny567
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Transferring to another school after reception within Wandsworth

Postby bluebonny567 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:26 am

We did this from a private school to a state school after reception year- firstly I called the school we wanted to get into and the secretary could tell me that they had spaces and then I managed to speak to someone at the council and they can also say based on where you live where on the waiting list you’d be. You still have to fill out form.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.