Harris Academy opens in Clapham

2 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Harris Academy opens in Clapham

Postby Community Editor » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Harris-Academy-Clapham-1-800x445.jpg

Harris Academy Clapham, in Clarence Avenue, welcomed its very first cohort of Year 7 students on September 10.

The 195 students spent the first two days at their new school getting to know their state-of-the-art building as well as meeting their classmates and teachers.

They also took part in a variety of mindfulness and sports for a positive start to the new term.

Students have since embarked on their normal timetable of lessons with a ‘bubble enrichment programme’ – after-school activities such as netball, debate club, yoga and meditation.

Harris Academy, Clapham will teach students up to and including Year 11 and will be affiliated to the Harris Clapham Sixth Form opening nearby in 2021.

The secondary academy will work closely with the sixth form, which will accommodate 600 students and offer A-levels as well as vocational teaching.

One Year 7 student said: “I am so glad that I have come here. I have settled in really well because everyone is welcoming and the teachers have helped us to make new friends.”

Another student said: “I was so impressed to see all the resources that we have.

“I enjoyed meeting the basketball coach, Mr Jackman, and starting basketball club at break and lunchtime.”

Sam Hainey, executive principal of Harris Academy, Clapham, said: “It was a pleasure to welcome our very first students through the doors this week and see so many excited faces ready to start learning.

“The past few months have been undoubtedly challenging for our students and families and our staff have been working tirelessly to ensure everything is in place so that, from day one, our students can excel in a safe, happy and welcoming environment.”

Gizlé Landman, principal of Harris Academy, Clapham, added: “Our Year 7s will be the only year group in the school this year, meaning they have the building all to themselves and will benefit from the very best teaching and transition from primary school.”
AnnaTooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Harris Academy opens in Clapham

Postby AnnaTooting » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Has anyone been or enrolled their kids here yet? Good location.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.