Wandsworth State - Fircroft or Rutherford or Ravenstone?

5 posts
Katrina40
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth State - Fircroft or Rutherford or Ravenstone?

Postby Katrina40 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:37 am

Hi, my son is due to go to school next year but sadly I have missed all the live tours. I think my first choices are Fircroft and Ravenstone but I would love your first hand thoughts on these 3 schools please? Ofsted isn't that helpful especially where done in 2017! Thank you for any thoughts.....
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth State - Fircroft or Rutherford or Ravenstone?

Postby Starr » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Fircroft is a lovely, welcoming school and has a new Head who is very efficient and dynamic. Standards just seem to be going up everywhere in all the schools. I really liked the old long standing Head as well but there is a sense that communications are smoother. The school has many extra curricular offerings and the PTA is very committed and raise a lot for extra. There is a really useful and popular breakfast and after school club. You will need a tutor in the later years if you are going for a selective secondary school. You might want to supplement some things like Art classes and some Sport. Swimming lessons are not offered until year 3.

Having said that Ravenstone and Rutherford are so close and I have only heard praise about those schools too if I'm honest.

I feel your pain because I've not been able to see many Secondary schools too.

Some questions to ask about about the nitty gritty:
-Homework- when is it set
-How parents can communicate with class teachers
-Provision for SEN
-Provision for more able children
-Music and other extra-curricular offerings
-Before and after school clubs
-swimming lessons and which year are they offered
JoCM
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JoCM » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:26 pm

I don't know much at all about Fircroft but did visit both Ravenstone and Rutherford when we were deciding. I also have friends with children at both schools - most are extremely happy with their choices. However, Rutherford and Ravenstone have very different feels to it & it is a question of assessing which one would suit your child most.

From what I have heard Rutherford is pushier and drives it a bit harder academically. I have been told by 1 parent that children get openly ranked based on their ability . Some children will thrive in this environment, some will not care & some will feel demotivated. I understand there is a big push in the school for them to get an Outstanding rating from Ofsted. The only personal thing I can say is that I did worry about the possible lack of space when I visited. They do need to cram in a lot of children in that building.

Ravenstone has a softer touch to it. They values are happiness, honesty, creativity. I have some direct experience because our eldest was there for 1 year. There was a feel of let's push but not too much so if you are looking for a very academic environment I would say Rutherford probably has an edge. They have a great space there - lots and lots of different playgrounds which I liked. The children have space to run around. And one of the key points - the head is extraordinary. We probably visited around 15 schools all in all, state and independent, when making our choice and Joe (head at Ravenstone) as definitely the most impressive one.

This probably doesn't help with making a choice but you will find lots of happy parents on all of these schools. It will be a question of assessing which ethos you prefer.
Mamamiasu
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mamamiasu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 am

Another vote for Fircroft - Both my children have been at this primary and have thrived there. We've seen a new head come in with fresh ideas and an admirably dedicated leadership & PTA team that work hard at making the school an educational setting to best benefit all the children - despite lockdown the PTA had smashed their 2019/2020 target of replacing all Interactive Screens in KS1 & KS2 by 2022, and raised enough funds to have this project completed this year! I agree with @JoCM that all these schools have a very different ethos and so different settings will suit different children. It's hard when you can't see the school, up and running, in an actual tour but notice that on Fircroft's website they are advertising both physical and virtual tours on their homepage for this coming December and January.
Clarabara
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Clarabara » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am

We are so lucky to have these choices. I've heard great things about Ravenstone, especially about the headteacher.

As mentioned above I've heard that Rutherford is very academically inclined.

Fircroft was my choice though. It really does have a family and community feel to it. The PTA are utterly dedicated (I don't think some of them sleep).

There's a new garden which has been built (much of it using PTA money) and that's been a real boost during Covid times.

The new head is really open to ideas. One of her biggest successes, in my opinion, is getting some great music teachers on board.

The curriculum is treated in a really immersive and imaginative way, kids turn their classrooms into the site of an earthquake, aliens are spotted entering the reception class (on a video). The school also (in normal times) places a big emphasis on trips and seeing topics come to life.

Lots of long standing teachers too, I think that is a great testament to the atmosphere of a school.

Hope this helps.