do private schools ask for number of tuition hours

11 posts
timestables
Options:
Share this post on:

do private schools ask for number of tuition hours

Postby timestables » Wed May 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Could anyone who has recently been through 11+ entrance exams enlighten let me.

Do you know if there is any truth in the rumour that secondary schools are now asking how many hours of tuition a child has so that they can adapt the process more fairly.

As the parent of a son who will need to be tutored within an inch of his life to pass anything this scares me a little but I can't believe it is true? Apart from anything I am not sure how it would work? Thanks for any insight.

JamTart
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: do private schools ask for number of tuition hours

Postby JamTart » Wed May 19, 2021 6:37 pm

Sounds like a wind-up that has become a rumour. .
Do you mean hours of school-provided tuition during lockdowns?
Because it would be 100% impossible for any school to collect this information on the amount of private tuition for each secondary school applicant.
Best to ask the school(s) directly
Last edited by JamTart on Wed May 19, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Wed May 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Nope
Some schools asked about what education your school had provided during the various covid closures
lemons and limes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lemons and limes » Wed May 19, 2021 7:03 pm

I know that the prep my children went to asked for parents to let them know if they were tutoring their year 6 child but I think that was for their benefit. Never heard of schools requesting it. Must be a pain though to know that many parents are pushing their children over the line and possibly into a school that might not be suited to them academically.
AbbieG
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbieG » Mon May 24, 2021 6:03 am

Surely, if your son needs to be tutored that much, a selective school isn't the place for him to be?
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 am

I was honestly shocked at the amount of people who had tutors in my child's prep school. I'm definitely against - tutors are really for children from state schools who need to fill in the gaps for the 11 plus exams, or if they need catching up with the curriculum but not necessarily taking exams. Parents are doing their child a huge disservice with all this unneccessary tutoring. Will the child need tutors for gcses, a levels and at university? It also causes stress for everyone else not tutoring and it pushes the bar unnaturally high. Schools need to find ways of clamping down. I know in my daughters school the maths teacher couldn't even teach the class.
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Mon May 24, 2021 8:43 am

LOL

Of course it’s not true!
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flowermummy » Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 am

The OP didn’t really ask whether tutoring was right or wrong, just if the rumour had any truth in it!

I really cannot understand why people have such set views on tutoring that they need to add them at every opportunity. It’s a matter for each family to consider really ...
Normandie76
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Normandie76 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:54 am

Some schools ask at interview how many extra hours of tuition a boy/girl has had. That’s not been an uncommon question this time around.

Not sure there’s a right answer to that one!
adamdsouza
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby adamdsouza » Mon May 24, 2021 9:45 am

Hi Timestables, I am a tutor and education consultant so I get a lot of feedback on independent senior schools' entrance processes. A couple of highly academically selective schools (e.g. St Paul's Girls' School) have asked parents on this year's application form about education their child has had during lockdown, including tutoring. This was a one-off, and only highly selective schools. With other schools, tutoring is the elephant in the room: almost everyone seems to be doing it; senior schools don't really mind either way whether it is state primary, private prep or a tutor, as long as the children in Year 7 have a strong foundation for their secondary education. Hope this is helpful.
Balhammolly
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammolly » Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi Timestables,
My DD took the 11plus 2 years ago for local schools round here and we were asked if she was tutored on one of the application forms and she was asked twice in interviews. 
Good luck!