Primary schools near Abbeville village - pls help!

8 posts
SW4_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Primary schools near Abbeville village - pls help!

Postby SW4_mum » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Hello,

We will be moving to Abbeville village shortly, on one of roads off abbeville road (Clapham common station will be the closest station - c 10mins walk).

Would anyone be able to help with school options in the area please? I see St Mary’s Catholic Church nearby but we are not Catholic. We are both open to private and public schools.. heard Hornsby school is great for example but it’s good 30mins from where we will be based which seems too far. Any ideas pls? I heard there are lots of families in Abbeville village so it will be really helpful to know where their kids go to for schools!

Thanks a lot!!
sid_seal
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Primary schools near Abbeville village - pls help!

Postby sid_seal » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 pm

State-wise, the two most obvious options from where you are are Bonneville (at the Clapham South end) and Clapham Manor. Judging from the estate agent-sponsored boards for school fairs and activities, there should be quite a few Bonneville families at your end.
Probably quite close to you is also Glenbrook. 
Further down Alderbrook, Henry Cavendish, but I guess they are beginning to get a bit far from you.
If at all possible visit all the schools within a reasonable radius, get a feel for them and factor in logistical aspects, particularly if in normal times you are both commuting into work - e.g., how much of a detour school drop-off would be, how late wrap-around care is open...
Moonlightdawn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Moonlightdawn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 pm

Hi

There are quite a few private schools around Clapham Common. The issue is whether you’ll be able to secure a place. They are very popular.

Speak to the registrars at Parkgate House, Eaton Manor, and Thomas’s. They are all in Clapham Common. Depends also what you’re looking for (small school versus large, co-Ed or single sex, part of a chain or owned by a family, charitable status), etc.

Hornsby House - you have to register from birth. It’s usually very tricky to get a place. There are some back roads that you could take cycling wise.

Further out, there are others like Newton Prep, the White House, Dolphin House, Eveline House, Broomwood Hall, etc.

Make a list and contact the admissions offices. Good luck.
SW4_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SW4_mum » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:04 am

Thank you so much for your response!!!
Clapham manor seems to be about 15mins walk - isn’t the catchment area pretty small for the school?
SW4_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SW4_mum » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 am

Thank you so much moonlightdawn!

Eaton manor is about 20mins walk and Thomas’ is c. 25mins walk - would this be too far? I would definitely consider them and register soon - baby’s due date is not too far but I still have some time.

If securing a place is not an issue, which school would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Sw17mumof2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sw17mumof2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:38 am

I would visit the schools to have a feel for them anyway. There might be one you love. Commute-wise, I have lots of friends in Abertillery village that go to Eaton House and it seems fine for all of them.
In terms of state school, the waiting list moves a lot. We were in Abeville back when we had to apply to schools and actually got places to state schools in Balham through the waiting list (which we preferred - Ravenstone/Rutherford house). It took us to August to be offered a place but it did happen. So you can look further afield. I looked at so many options! Thought it was important to find the right fit.
We then moved to Balham which has lots more options nearby and ended up choosing Eveline Day. Lovely little school and they have amazinghours (7:30/6:30 and also take the children during school holidays which is a godsend for me in terms of managing work and childcare).
sid_seal
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sid_seal » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 pm

SW4_mum wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:04 am
Thank you so much for your response!!!
Clapham manor seems to be about 15mins walk - isn’t the catchment area pretty small for the school?
Last year first offers went to ~670 m, so you're right, it's probably hit and miss.

However, I see that your baby is not here yet, so for State schools you have the luxury of time and things might change quite significantly either way! Good luck!

Catb
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Catb » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 pm

We've two boys who have been attending Bonneville Primary at the end of Abbeville Rd since reception. They're now in years 5 & 4 and we're delighted with the school. It's a wonderful community, we/the boys have met friends for life, they've a fabulous Forest School complete with veggie patch, chickens and rabbits, and the staff across the school are fabulous. You should go and meet Miss Parker, the head teacher, or one of the governing body, who are passionate about the school and the results it achieves, with good reason (the latest set saw the school in the top 3% in the country for improvement, which speaks volumes as to the quality of the teaching). They've three teachers across two classes per year, plus support staff, so class sizes are akin to the private schools. The best time to visit would be during one of the events such as the Summer Fair, though I fear this will not go ahead this year due to Covid restrictions. The school really is the area's best kept secret! I'm perplexed as to why local families choose to send their children to private school with such an amazing state school option on their doorstep, but appreciate it's a very personal decision so you should absolutely go and view all the options and meet with as many parents and students as you can before making a decision. Good luck!