Schools SW2/4 border

4 posts
sw287
Options:
Share this post on:

Schools SW2/4 border

Postby sw287 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 am

Hi all,

We live near to the Bedford Road junction with Acre Lane (on the acre lane side) and now our child is nearly a year and settled in nursery it seems that it might be worth me thinking about options for schools.

Having looked on a map it seems the absolute closest is Kings Avenue which is Ofsted 'needs improvement' so obviously that doesn't sound like a great option. There's Sudbourne (500m exactly from us) and Corpus Christi (we're not Catholic) which both are 'outstanding', I understand the former takes on a fairly small intake 'today' but is building a large looking junior school at the top of Strathleven road which I suppose would mean they'd take more kids at infant? 

There's also then Clapham Manor but I am 850m away as the crow flies and I think I read on here that they offered to 650m last year, so probably not a goer.

Ideally not looking to go private yet as were planning on saving a few quid and doing that when he's a bit older/moving out of London, though if required it doesn't seem to cost much more than bloody nursery these days so it is an option, though it seems the closest would be Eaton Manor - is this viable, or am I too late in thinking about that?

Are there any other options I've missed or things that I should bear in mind? 

Thanks,
Kinkajou8
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Schools SW2/4 border

Postby Kinkajou8 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi. You are right that Sudbourne is expanding so will have a larger intake. Bear in mind though that their Ofsted inspection was over 10 years ago and there has been a change in leadership since then. Some of the schools I discounted at the time became outstanding a couple of years later! So it's worth visiting King's Avenue to form your own opinion of it.

In your area but not as close are Stockwell Primary, Hill Mead and Bonneville. I know families at Stockwell who are very happy. Hill Mead seemed great when I visited, I just wasn't fond of the outdoor space (not their fault) and I was also impressed with Bonneville.  

I hope this helps.
Feeling old
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Feeling old » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:18 pm

It is definitely worth looking at Kings Avenue. It is the most improved school in Lambeth. There has been a lot of press about it recently and I think their interim Ofsted visits have been very good.
There is no expansion of schools in Lambeth. There is a falling number of kids in the area so none of the schools are allowed by Lambeth to increase their numbers.
sw287
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sw287 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:57 pm

I was under the impression that everything was catchment based and that I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting into something the other end of Abbeville as Bonneville is, an ditto Clapham Manor...

Kings - any links to that press?
Stockwell Primary and Hillmead seem 'ok' on the reports, but nothing special. 
Sudbourne, I take your point on that, a very old inspection, but obviously they will expand intake given the new jnr school looks like it will house hundreds of kids.