In our over 30 years of experience supporting local children with their 11+ exams, we have come across almost every possible scenario and could even write the book on it (and currently are!). Here are a few helpful tips to help you through this term:-
- It’s OK to work hard with a goal in sight – however, workload must be managed carefully so that your child does not feel over-worked or over-pressured.
- Building confidence is everything – remember to reward effort and not marks, recognising that we can all have a bad day.
- You’ve only got a few months left – if in doubt, reach out. An 11+ expert tutor is worth their weight in gold and will help to organise, prioritise, and teach exam technique, leaving you to do all fun stuff!
- Keeping a healthy perspective is harder than it seems – avoid school gate chatter which will only fuel your anxiety.
- Children improve their scores by improving knowledge – over-doing papers without solid foundations in place can be counter-productive - good teaching equals good learning.
- You are not superhuman – Juggling work and family life is exhausting and adding 11+ preparation into the mix can really tip the balance. It’s ok to get help.
- Only the right tutor with the right experience will do – there is no one size fits all, and a good tutor should have proven 11+ experience, relevant school admission success, and most importantly be a good fit with your family.
Who we are?
We are widely recognised as the ‘11+ People’ and specialise in supporting children throughout their journey. We offer a mix of learning styles (1:1 tuition, courses, mock exams, and academic assessments), making sure we keep your child actively engaged despite the pressures of school entrance.
We believe that learning, especially for the 11+, should always be imaginative and fun. As such, our handpicked tutors have the tools and resources to really motivate your child.
This year were delighted to reach the top of the tables in School Report, and feature in The Good Schools Guide, where our outstanding results, and the care and effort we put into every family’s experience was acknowledged.
“Holistic in their approach, as well as ethical say parents and tutors. So if you’re the kind of parent that believes confidence building is a key part of a child’s journey to academic success, and you’re attracted to highly principled companies, then you’ll be right at home with Mentor Education.” The Good School's Guide
We regularly help children gain places at the following schools:
Alleyns, City of London, Dulwich College, Emanuel, Epsom College, KCS, JAGS, Streatham & Clapham, Trinity, Wimbledon High, Whitgift and Woldingham.
Please do get in touch with our 11+ team if you would like any advice.
0208 883 2519