Rutherford House or Ravenstone

4 posts
mrsindecisive
Options:
Share this post on:

Rutherford House or Ravenstone

Postby mrsindecisive » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:27 am

I know that we are very lucky to have two great schools on our doorstep but could anyone let me know their thoughts on either of the above the schools. Instinctively I like Rutherford but how much of an issue is the lack of space and the traffic going in and out of the garage? Thanks for any help.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rutherford House or Ravenstone

Postby Goldhawk » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Ravenstone has better outside space and a more reasonable uniform
However they consider "Happy" to be a value

Have you visited both?
wonkymonkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby wonkymonkey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:39 pm

We have two children at Rutherford House and are extremely happy. Both children look forward to going to school, they can accommodate a range of abilities and there is a huge range of extra curricular activities. All the teachers we’ve had have been excellent, there are LSAs in every class who are really engaged. They stretch the kids to do their best but are kind and supportive.

To answer your specific questions about space and the garage. The garage isn’t an issue. Very occasionally have to wait for a couple of cars to go in before crossing but it’s fine. Useful to have a shop next door! The outside space is not as good as Ravenstone which is exceptional. But I feel it’s plenty for what they need day to day and our kids have always enjoyed playtime, they have no complaints. Playtime is staggered so not all the kids are out at the same time. There’s enough for sports in the back sports area and they also do forest school in the lower years and sports events against other schools from Year 3. It’s a very happy school and we feel very fortunate our kids are there.

That said, we’re fortunate to have great schools in the area so if you have a strong feeling one way or another you’re unlikely to go wrong!
headshrinker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby headshrinker » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:15 am

Ravenstone parent here. Bit baffled as to why happiness is considered a poor choice for a school value but each to their own...

Honestly, all the local schools are good and differences in academic outcomes are largely down to demographics (the schools who do better seem to have social advantages and/or fewer SEN students). If your child is bright and comes from a comfortable, supportive home they are likely to do well wherever they go and should be able to go on to selective schools if that is what you want. Can't comment on other schools but here is what I like about Ravenstone:
  • Great teachers (including a lot more male staff than a lot of primary schools which makes a nice change) and really good senior staff (the kids adore their Head Teacher and he is well-respected by parents too)
  • Fantastic space and facilities. Their lovely playground has chickens, a wild area, a pond and a decent sports pitch. Early Years classes have covered outdoor areas so can spend a large part of the day outside regardless of weather. Indoors they have two large halls, a great library, music room, sensory room for SEN kids and much more. 
  • Great mix of families. Kids come from all backgrounds and they have an autistic hub so kids  learn to respect (another school value!) and embrace their differences.
  • Lovely community - it is really friendly and welcoming and there is a really active community around the school which has been built up over many decades. It is genuinely lovely to be a part of it. 
  • Great sports - Ravenstone always excels at Athletics but has expanded sports in recent years and now has a strong football team, a running club as well as offering other sports like cricket and hockey. They use every inch of that huge playground as well as their 2 large halls to keep the kids active. 
  • Happiness! Others may not see that as a good school value but the kids chose their own values at Ravenstone (and designed the characters that represent them) and are fiercely proud of them. I love the fact that kindness and happiness are prioritised. This is primary school. It is supposed to be FUN. 
Good luck whatever you choose! Sorry for long post. Think I was just triggered by the happy thing!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.