Which of the Thomas's Schools would you recommend?

4 posts
Trixabelle
Options:
Share this post on:

Which of the Thomas's Schools would you recommend?

Postby Trixabelle » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pm

We live between the Battersea and Clapham one and are wondering what views current parents have of each? Is the fact that there are Royals at Battersea an issue in any way? Any feedback much appreciated.
CharlotteWebb
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Which of the Thomas's Schools would you recommend?

Postby CharlotteWebb » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:27 pm

The Royals aren't an issue as such but the nature of the parents attracted to the school has changed since they arrived (long term parent here) - some because of the security (see diplomatic cars blocking the street outside), some travel much further than anyone would have before (ie Richmond - again, cause traffic issues) and most are made of money and very different from the more "normal" families who used to be there (this itself isn't a criticism, just a fact and it means that £800 ski trips aren't considered an issue nor the fees which at primary re higher than many London private secondaries) Somewhere along the way the really cosy welcoming nature has been lost. Whilst security was definitely needed (previously anyone could wander in) it is now a 20 minute job to queue down the High St for pick up!

The school has changed a lot particularly since they started the secondary school - the site is very crowded (120 in year 7 and the same again next year) the new buildings have been delayed by another 12 months so this isn't changing any time soon.

I'd go to Clapham - less crowded site, slightly lower fees, same warm prep school feel which originally attracted us to Battersea but has been somewhat lost along the way, probably easier going atmosphere all round and a more stable role (of pupils).
walesdavies
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby walesdavies » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:40 am

My children went through Thomas’s Clapham and I can’t recommend it enough. Lots of lovely down to earth parents, nurturing and high calibre staff but most importantly a focus on kindness and co curricular activities as well as solid academics. Also really important - outstanding IT, we’ve moved out of London to another prep school and my son seems more digitally adept than most of the IT team at his new school! They prepared my children so well for senior school too which I think is an important consideration. I had one child doing 11+ And one 13+ (Same time as I have twins!) and they both got places at all the schools we applied for. Feedback was that it was the breadth of the sorts of things they were involved with (drama, dance, orchestra, choir, gymnastics) at school which helped them stand out at interview. We chose the Thomas’s C originally because the children seemed very happy when we toured and the breadth of activities on offer - as you never know what your 4 year old child will be interested in, in the future.
EHMorris
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby EHMorris » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:59 am

They are both good schools, I’d go with wherever the odds are better of getting a place however I have no insights to offer as to which that is! It’s a lottery (literally, I believe).

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.