Do you have to do the ISEB and the 11+ to get into a day school?

4 posts
BenandJerry
Options:
Share this post on:

Do you have to do the ISEB and the 11+ to get into a day school?

Postby BenandJerry » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Just looking ahead slightly but tbh very confused about the process for getting into an independent secondary school. Do children need to take the ISEB and reach a certain score in that before they can even apply to the local (Emanuel, Dulwich Schools, Whitgift) secondary schools? 

Could anyone please enlighten me?

And good luck to the children going through this process at the moment, it seems a very big ask of an eleven year old!
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Do you have to do the ISEB and the 11+ to get into a day school?

Postby Starr » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:51 pm

You need to check their websites and email admissions if it is confusing because you are right many schools have decided to keep the ISEB as pre test or as the entrance exam because their admissions felt it was successful

I know Alleyns have decided to keep it as a pre test so this year's intake have taken it too. Emanuel didn't use ISEB last year and haven't this year. I'm not sure about Whitgift and Dulwich.
The ISEB has 4 tests: Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning
Some schools looked at different components of the exam. For example, Wimbledon High considered VR and NVR, other schools did Maths and English only etc - so good to find that out too.
I highly recommend Atom Learning from end of year 5 for familiarity and practicing these computer based tests.
Do check the websites and email the admissions department if you need to.

Good luck!
Love learning
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Love learning » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 pm

Hi
It very much depends in each school and they do change year on year, but yes it can be quite a lot for young ones.
I have found that it is good to do some prep. and best to start early and gently to relieve the stress closer to exams.
Happy to help, I have supported many families on that path who have happily gained entry to the schools you mentioned, as well as 7+ etc.
If you want a schools consultant I highly recommend Lucy Watts and you can contact me re. tutoring preparation etc.
Very best wishes, Lorraine - lovelearningcompanycom
Love learning
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Love learning » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 pm

Hi
It very much depends in each school and they do change year on year, but yes it can be quite a lot for young ones.
I have found that it is good to do some prep. and best to start early and gently to relieve the stress closer to exams.
Happy to help, I have supported many families on that path who have happily gained entry to the schools you mentioned, as well as 7+ etc.
If you want a schools consultant I highly recommend Lucy Watts and you can contact me re. tutoring preparation etc.
Very best wishes, Lorraine - lovelearningcompanycom

Start a conversation
Create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.