Year 4 Multiplication Check

4 posts
GrowingYoungMinds
Options:
Share this post on:

Year 4 Multiplication Check

Postby GrowingYoungMinds » Fri May 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Did you know that this June, Year 4 pupils will take a Multiplication Check?

Just like the phonic assessment, the results will be shared with parent. Unlike the phonics, each question will be timed - so they need to be quick. 

To find out more about about the check and how you can help your child, join Growing Young Minds parent talk on Saturday 28th May at 3pm. 

Join us at our Earlsfield Classroom, Smiths Yard, SW18 4HR. 

To ensure space please let us if you plan to attend - https://forms.gle/QPiVmnTwK7AM7CK8A
Attachments
GYM-logo-FINAL-web.jpg
Last edited by GrowingYoungMinds on Tue May 17, 2022 8:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
cynic
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Year 4 Multiplication Exam

Postby cynic » Mon May 16, 2022 1:58 pm

I’m quite appalled by the tone of this post and the misleading use of the term ‘Exam’.
And also by its promotion as such in the weekly email.
The insidious impression is that busy parents are somehow failing their child if they are unaware of this and that this ‘Exam’ may somehow matter for your child and must be practiced and ‘quickly’.

This is not an Exam but a check and it’s much more of a check for the school than for your child.
“The multiplication tables check (MTC) is statutory for primary schools in the 2021/22 academic year.
The purpose of the MTC is to determine whether pupils can recall their times tables fluently, which is essential for future success in mathematics. It will help schools to identify pupils who have not yet mastered their times tables, so that additional support can be provided.“
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... bles-check

Also the same government website specifically suggest you do not need to prepare your child in any way.

“4. Do I need to do anything to prepare my child for the check?
No, you do not need to do anything additional to prepare your child for the check. As part of usual practice, teachers may ask you to practise times tables with your child.
Schools will have unlimited access to a try it out area from March. They can use this to make sure pupils have the necessary support required to access the check. This includes opportunities for pupils to familiarise themselves with the check application and try out any access arrangements that may be required.”
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... version--2

Fluency in multiplication tables is an important attainable step at this age, but this process is to check that.
https://www.ncetm.org.uk/classroom-reso ... culum-map/

If you are curious there are many free websites which will allow you to answer some sample questions in the exact format as the actual MTC, but your child is probably doing some at school, so please do not worry in any way about this process.
GrowingYoungMinds
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Year 4 Multiplication Check

Postby GrowingYoungMinds » Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 am

* title changed to Year 4 Multiplication Check*
 Thanks to Cynic for pointing this out.
GrowingYoungMinds
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Year 4 Multiplication Check

Postby GrowingYoungMinds » Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 am

Dear Cynic, 

Thank you for your reply to my post. It was not my intention to cause upset or anxiety amongst parents. I know from experience that different schools provide different amount of information and that there is some confusion surrounding this new national check. My aim is to provide parents with an opportunity to receive information and to ask questions for clarification. 

I apologise for using the word ‘exam’ and, on reflection, I recognise that this can be viewed as an inflammatory term to use. I have corrected this in my original post.  

It is never my intention to make parents feel that they are not doing enough to support their children. I am a parent as well as a teacher and had hoped that my tone was supportive rather than ‘judgey’. I am sincerely sorry if that did not come across in my original post. 

Yours,
Joanne
Growing Young Minds

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.