Thoughts on Sydenham High Senior

4 posts
Thinking of Sydenham
Options:
Share this post on:

Thoughts on Sydenham High Senior

Postby Thinking of Sydenham » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:43 pm

Our daughter has an offer of a place at Sydenham High School for next year and I just wondered if any parents who currently have a daughter there could share their experience of the school.

We’ve been really impressed with what we have seen of the school so far and everyone that we’ve met, teachers and pupils, have been really friendly and welcoming. Our daughter is pretty keen on the school.

I guess our only hesitation is that I don’t think many girls go there from more the south west side of London, so the friends that she makes will probably live more towards the south east side of London. Plus, our daughter is feeling a bit nervous about taking the train there by herself, although it is a direct train at least and I know there is the school bus option too.
RLBB
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Thoughts on Sydenham High Senior

Postby RLBB » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:12 am

Hi there

We are in exactly the same position as you with a daughter with an offer at Sydenham for September. We are really impressed by the school and the head but don’t know anyone at the school so I’d be very interested to follow this thread. We used to live in SW11 and have moved to Streatham Hill. Not sure where you are based but do get in touch if you’d like to chat further.
South London mul
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby South London mul » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:14 am

Our daughter started there in year 7 in September 23. She arrived 3 weeks late as we had to change her in an emergency following Old Palace of Whitgift announced closure. She has been incredibly well welcomed and is very very happy, way more than she was in primary school. I really like her friends, although I don’t know where they live. The downsides are that we don’t have that much feedbacks from teachers (which could be because we missed all the induction meetings) and I don’t know if she is pushed enough academically (she would strongly object!). However, she loves school, she is interested by what she does and does her homework with enthusiasm, which is probably a very good sign. Overall, I am really happy with her there. On transport, I would advise to limit it to 30/45 (max). We are local to Sydenham High.
Thinking of Sydenham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Thinking of Sydenham » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:24 pm

Hi RLBB, I don't think I can direct message you on here but coincidentally we also live in Streatham Hill!

Thanks for your feedback on the school, South London mul, really helpful and glad you and your daughter are really happy with the school. My eldest is at an independent senior boys school and we get very little feedback from his teachers either, unless you contact them that is.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.