Our primary school is 50 Min away!

79 posts
Niknaks
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Our primary school is 50 Min away!

Postby Niknaks » Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello all,

My understanding is that you can appeal a decision if you are not happy with the admissions results.

In the latest copy of Raring2go magazine, we published an article written by a laywer who regularly advises parents in relation to schools admissions appeals and other related matters on how to go about this.

I would be happy to supply a link to the article (or you could pick up a copy of the magazine in the local library).

Thanks
Nicolette Brown
Raring2go! in Wandsworth
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Scarlett 2206, wouldn't the council assess you on the address of your main residence? Even if you just so happen to be having some work done during the time of the school application so move temporarily closer to your chosen school? Otherwise, wouldn't it be convenient to time such work for that period? Surely that's the type of thing that ought to be caught in applications?
Scarlett2206
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scarlett2206 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi - The application is assessed depending on where the child is living at the time of application. We are planning really extensive works to our home so we would need to be out for at least a year - it would be impossible to still live there while the building works are going on. We're planning to start the work in July so we will be in the temporary home at application deadline (next Jan)/. We have to rent somewhere nearby anyway, so we figured we might as well rent in a catchment certainty.
Orangetree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Orangetree » Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm

what is wrong with living in earlsfield??!
i moved from between the commons to get away from snotty nosed mums like you. it is this superior complex that mums like you walk around with that causes this divide in schools…gossip at the school gates. i did however keep my flat between the commons that i rent and i have had many a parent wanting to rent it merely for the school issue- i have not gone down that route (I have a moral compass yet!) but reading the high and mighty comments from some parents i am actually willing to do so out of spite and be the so called "unscrupulous landlord".
wake up and smell the coffee..the fact that your child will have a FREE education is a privilege.. period and if you can't afford the private fees then move somewhere else…(but not earlsfield).
excitera
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby excitera » Mon May 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Orangetree - Free education - a privilege? Erm..... I thought it is a right in this country.

Clapset agree with your thoughts exactly.
Anyyway, I'll be dropping a letter and perhaps a petition 'LOCAL schools for local people', so Orange tree thank you for your rant, I'm sure that information be of interest to the Schools Governor.
Itchyfeet
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Itchyfeet » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm

"Local schools for local people" .sounds like there are BNP members on here. Eurghhhhh.
excitera
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby excitera » Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 pm

yes, its common sense - hence the postcode rule... if you do not own/long-term rent in between the commons, you are just a freeloader cheating the system...
izzye789
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby izzye789 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm

thats the trouble with these posh people they take all the places in state schools and when there kids leave they send them to privat schools. just to save more money. dont they know how to work the system. if they can send there kids there from primary school then they should have sent them there in the beginning. and give those who cant afford privat schools the chance.its going on in all the good schools.if there were all crap schools they wouldnt think twice about putting there kids in privat schools in the beginning.
Scarlett2206
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scarlett2206 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 am

Snotty-nosed Mums?? Why do some women on this site have to be so down right horrible to each other. We should be supporting each other, not judging.
For the record, we have enough money to send our child to private school - but we are choosing not to. Both my partner and I went to state schools and its very much our preference that our daughter does too. If she doesn't get into Belleville then we will hope (and list) Highview or Wix or whatever other ones there are in the area.
It has been shown time-and-time again that what matters most in a young child's education is not the "standard" of the primary school - its the home environment.
All any of us want, is (what we believe) is best for our children. If that's private school for yours - great. If its Belleville or bust - good for you. If you want to live in Earlsfield - each to their own.
How about a little kindness, understanding and, above all respect, for other people's decisions and beliefs?
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Absolutely agree with Scarlett.

Just because a family 'has' the money (and how would you even begin to quanitify that ?!) doesnt mean they want to, nor should send their child to a private school. In the same way that sending them to a state school doesn't automatically mean that they're only doing it to save a bit of cash in the longer term.

We all pay our taxes, remember, the schools are to be used by anyone in society who decides to send their child there (and lives in the postage stamp sized catchments of course). You cant dictate who 'should' go to a certain school. It's personal choice, and a decision for individual families/children.

Inverse snobbery is no better than the 'snotty-nosed Mums' you bemoan.
Balhammom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammom » Tue May 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Hear, hear Bubs. Let's be more generous hearted :)
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 am

Scarlett2206, your situation highlights how ludicrous the current admissions system is. If you are planning to be out of usual home in a temporary place for a year starting from next July and still there at the application deadline in January, it is likely that you would be returning to your permanent home just before your child starts school (i.e. from the following July onwards) or in the first term of starting school in September. Whilst in your case you are only 97 metres out of catchment as you say, there would be lots of other children nearer than this (maybe Bonnijump's children too) who will be travelling miles away to school whilst you are walking past their house from your main residence to take your child to the school you previously moved closer to temporarily.

I appreciate you need to move and its not your fault but it just shows how ridiculous the system is if the admissions authority's only interest is where you are living on a particular date approximately 9 months before your child starts school!

I would hope that the council pays heed to their own published admissions criteria in the admissions booklet - i.e. that applicants must give their permanent address and may be asked to prove they have disposed of their previous home.
excitera
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby excitera » Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Steward Road school? no forget it... I'd rather sell my house in between the commons, downgrade and pay for private.
DaisyLady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DaisyLady » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

HSD wrote:Hi,

I am aware of so many people in your situation, it is terrible.

We live on Berber Rd, and luckily have a place at Belleville this year. However, the houses either side of us are rented, and each year are generally occupied by families wanting to get their children into Belleville. As soon as they secure a place, they move or return to their homes elsewhere, outside the catchment area.

It infuriates me. Belleville and Honeywell are meant to be schools for children who's families genuinely reside locally. The schools or Council, or both, need to find a way to stop people manipulating the entrance system.
We are in the same position as many of you. We have written to the council , our MP and the school.

The council basically washed their hands of the whole renting thing saying here was nothing they can do as it was not economical to check all applications thoroughly. The MP was sympathetic she is a governor at honeywell and said governors there have rented to get a place. At both schools it is the governors that make the admissions policy as far as I understand. So there is no desire to change the system.

I think we all need to write to everybody, the council, the school and the MP. The more fuss is made maybe someone will do something about it.

I also think if you know of people who are renting to get a place you should tell the council. We told them of people we know who have done this and are waiting it see if they lose their place. The council claims if you obtain a place fraudulently that it will be removed.
DaisyLady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DaisyLady » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Ps I have also been thinking that we should get a petition going. Local schools for local kids sounds like a great idea. Anyone tech savvy enough to know how to so it?!!