Fantastic! Change to admissions for primary school

10 posts
aliyeo
Options:
Share this post on:

Fantastic! Change to admissions for primary school

Postby aliyeo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:01 pm

I am delighted to say that there has been a change made to the wording of the admissons policy for reception places to Wandsworth schools this year. Check out page 10 of the guide. Here is the link.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... 013/200086

If you rent temporarily, despite the reason,it seems you are NOT allowed to use it as your address if you own a home elsewhere.They will require evidence of disposal of previous property.

So that is no longer a legal option although previously it appeared to be acceptable. We might even see an increase in catchments but I am not holding my breath....
mother1234
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Fantastic! Change to admissions for primary school

Postby mother1234 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 am

I copied the wording from the link above and pasted it below- just curious, do you know what changes were made or the wording that was previously in place?

Your child’s address
The address you give on the application form must be your child’s permanent address on the closing date for applications and this must be the address where the family normally lives. Parents are not permitted to use a temporary address to secure a school place for the child. A business address, a childminder’s address, or any address including a family member’s address other than the child’s permanent home will not be accepted. Proof of address will be sought if there is any doubt about the validity of the address given and may be the subject of further investigation.

If a family move into a property temporarily to increase the chances of gaining a school place, the council will use the permanent residence for the purpose of the application. If the family own a property but are living at and apply from a different address, the council will assume that the second address is temporary and that the property they own is where the child ordinarily lives. Where the owned property is being renovated, this will still be considered the family’s permanent address. Evidence will otherwise be required that the property has been disposed of. If a family own more than one property, the council will request further evidence to demonstrate where they normally live to determine the address we will use for the child’s application.

The address will be checked against information already held by the council and you will be asked to provide satisfactory proof if a discrepancy is found. Where proof of address is requested it must be provided. If satisfactory proof is received after 13 February 2015 your application will be processed after the initial offer of places has been made on 16 April 2015.
aliyeo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby aliyeo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

In previous years, they accepted your address on the closing date of application to be your permanent address. It was irrelevant if you only lived there for one day or 20 years.

They have now clarified what the difference is between temporary and permanent. So for instance, many parents used the opportunity to rent, renovate and return to their owned homes the year that their child started reception. The address that they rent from is now considered temporary. Many people felt justified in gaming the system as this was not explicitly stated. They are effectively closing a loophole. Some families were willing to rent close to certain schools to secure places for all their siblings despite owning and returning to their owned home a soon as they are offered a place.

I understand that the schools are keen to stamp out this practice and are looking for considerably more information from prospective parents who they deem suspicious. Certain addresses have been flagged up by the schools to Wandsworth Council as being used for short term renters. Wandsworth Council of course has more access to information than the schools so it is fantastic they are properly collaborating on this now. HW have given a list of those address to WC and will be checking this year. Wandsworth Council is also collaborating with neighbouring councils too. They will check all the records they need to according to Adam Wells. They have had enough complaints now to ignore the situations any longer.
mother1234
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mother1234 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 am

Thank you aliyeo.
oliver2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oliver2012 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Very fair! well done!
Genie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Genie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 am

Doesn't sound all that fantastic to me. My family own a home in Surrey but rent a flat in NV, because my job is in London and the Surrey home is too far to commute. We stay in London all week, and she needs to go to a school near our flat or my job. We're not trying to 'game' anything. Wonder what the council is going to make of us?
GES77
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GES77 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:49 am

Surrey too far to commute?? Really??!!
LastMumStanding
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LastMumStanding » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 am

StephA - I would not imagine you will have a problem, though you may need to provide additional paperwork and avoid moving from that flat in the year leading up to making your application. Presumably you have a history at your local address, utility bills going back a while and maybe registered to vote from there? The council are not unreasonable people if you are honest with them about your situation.
raxx
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby raxx » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 am

Does anyone know how this would work in reality?

We currently own a 2 bed flat in Lambeth. We are looking to rent this out in exchange for renting a 3 bed house with garden in a family-friendly area with good schools. The rented property would be our permanent place of residence and we would lose the right to live in our flat once it's rented out.

Would we then be considered as temporary or permanent by the council?

Would we find ourselves in a position where we are better off selling the flat?

Thanks! Sorry if my question seems stupid.... I worry about falling between the cracks.
LastMumStanding
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LastMumStanding » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:43 pm

The council literature only says that evidence of disposal "may" be required. No one knows how it will work in practice as it has not been tested yet - but disposal is not the same as sale - if you were able to show a rental agreement for your old flat I'd imagine that would be good evidence - but personally I'd be careful to ensure that you move early and not right before applications are due in and that, if possible, you rent out your old flat for longer than 6 months so that you can demonstrate your commitment to still being in the area at the start of the next school year at least!!