Air raid shelter removal question

2 posts
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Air raid shelter removal question

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am

I have what I think is an air raid shelter in my back garden. It is like a large brick shed with double thickness walls, extremely thick concrete roof and floor and a tiny door.

We really want to get it removed but our gardener says it’s too big a job.

Has anyone had one of these removed from their gardens before? Was it a big job? How long did it take? Did you employ professional builders to remove it?

Any insight gratefully received!
orangeplum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Air raid shelter removal question

Postby orangeplum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:16 am

We had one when we moved into our house. We asked our builders to demolish it as it was not usable. They wouldn’t give a price and instead would only do it on a daily rate as they said impossible to estimate. . It was v difficult to demolish as it had odd metal everywhere. We stopped doing it when the cost became too much and built a small wall round it. A few years later we decided to finish the job. My husband hired one of those mechanical breakers and it took him another couple of weeks. At least one machine burnt out because of the effort.

My advice would be to get a labourer or two to demolish for you and remove rubble etc to a skip. Make sure you set aside enough money to pay as It’s not a cheap job but worth the extra space when you get it back.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.