Kitchen Stand Mixer Suggestions

3 posts
Qusey
Options:
Share this post on:

Kitchen Stand Mixer Suggestions

Postby Qusey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:56 am

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on purchasing a stand mixer https://thehomedweller.com/cake-mixer/ for your kitchen, or rather, the utility of having one and your selection. I think it was of great disappointment for my mother, when we got married recently, that we didn't want one. At the time this seemed too traditional of a gift, we would really rather have help funding an excellent trip, and we really didn't have the counter space in our kitchen.

Lately, however, I've become increasingly interested in making my own bread, hamburger buns, and the like. I've found many of the recipes call for a stand mixer, that it saves you from adding too much flour in the kneading process, and results in a better loaf. My mother doesn't live very far away, so every week I stop by, bring my dog to run around with hers, and use the stand mixer.

I have figured out where we have space for one, and it may be getting to the point where I should either buy one or I'll get one as a gift. So I have a few questions:

1. For those who own one, is this something they regularly use? Does it give you utility and value, or does it gather dust? 

2. I've only ever used a stand mixer to make bread products, and the only attachment I've used is the dough hook. Have others found expanded use, or is this pretty much it -- the best and primary use? I don't anticipate making a lot of angel food cakes.

3. Any suggestions as to what model to select. I believe the KitchenAid makes the archetypical ones, and offers an Artisan models (325 watt motor) and a Professional (575 watt). There is a $100+ difference between the two, which shrinks in importance if one is more durable over time, and grows in importance if performance is comparable. Some of you may own one of these and can comment. Also other companies make kitchen stand mixers, that some of you might have and believe offer better value.

4. Is there a prime season to buy one? I told my mother, yesterday when she hinted at this, that you always want to wait until the Christmas shopping season for the lowest prices. I'm wondering if others have seen whether that's true. I have seen these on sale in a number of places lately; summer isn't generally the peak season for home baking.

As I began to investigate this, the more I've felt out of my depth. This forum has a great range of knowledgeable people, and I appreciate any help and insight you are willing to share.
Last edited by Qusey on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
gill44
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Kitchen Stand Mixer Suggestions

Postby gill44 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 am

I’ve had a trusty Magimix all my life and use it for bread dough, soups, purées, mousses, dips and the like. I’ve recently replaced it with a more modern version, the Magimix Compact, and can highly recommend it.
It lives in an easy-to-reach cupboard rather than on the counter top.
Peter Jones has a good selection and knowledgeable staff to explain the pros and cons of each make and model.
Good Luck!
Steve32
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Kitchen Stand Mixer Suggestions

Postby Steve32 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 am

The excellent trip is definitely much better  😄 But I must admit that this mixer may be quite useful. I got a Magimix as well and there were no problems with it during these four years at all. Of course, there are a lot of new modernized mixers, so you better read some reviews to choose the best one. I recently found a website where you can see reviews on different ovens, mixers, countertop ice cube maker, electric kettles and other stuff. Hope it helps!