Solicitor recommendations for leaseholder/freeholder disputes about gaining permission to alter the property.

2 posts
Jess000
Options:
Share this post on:

Solicitor recommendations for leaseholder/freeholder disputes about gaining permission to alter the property.

Postby Jess000 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm

I own a top floor leasehold flat in a two-story building, and the freeholder lives in the ground floor flat directly below. I am looking for a solicitor who has experience dealing with gaining a 'license to alter' from the freeholder to carry out alterations to a leasehold flat. My lease states that consent for alterations 'cannot be unreasonably withheld'. 

As an example, I would like to make some changes to a fireplace which involves removing some brickwork, and would like to find out on what grounds the freeholder could 'reasonably' withhold consent on matters like this. What would the courts decide is 'reasonable' or 'unreasonable'? Also, I would like to establish who owns the loft space above my flat as the lease is unclear on this. 

If anyone knows a solicitor who has experience with any of the above, please let me know. My many hours (days!) of Googling and phoning have proven fruitless. 

Many thanks in advance all!
Jess
jtreliving
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Solicitor recommendations for leaseholder/freeholder disputes about gaining permission to alter the property.

Postby jtreliving » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 am

All legal issues relating to leaseholds/freeholds I would recommend you look no further than Ben Colenutt of Jamieson Alexander Solicitors. He is usually happy to go through a preliminary consultation for free. The firm's number is 0330 200 0017.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.