Living near Wandsworth waste centre

5 posts
Wandsworthproperty
Options:
Share this post on:

Living near Wandsworth waste centre

Postby Wandsworthproperty » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 am

Hi all

I am looking to purchase a property facing the River Wandle. I just wanted to asks if anybody has any experience of living near the waste management facility (WRWA / Feathers Wharf)? Could anyone confirm if there are any negatives from living close by (within 500 meters) such as odour, noise, vans etc.?

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thank you
LocalResident
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Living near Wandsworth waste centre

Postby LocalResident » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm

I would also be interested in getting people's view on this. How does this impact to local neighbourhood?
Shopgirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Shopgirl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:34 pm

About 4 years ago we lived exactly where you are describing in a long term Airbnb while we were between purchases. There was a bit of lorry/bins being emptied noise - sometimes early in the morning. Nothing I recall being horrendous. There was no smell from what I recall, although we were there in the winter, I wouldn’t know how the summer heat might affect this.
ZZZzzz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ZZZzzz » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello, I don't live there but I come to walk along the river every few weeks with my son. What I can say is that for at least the last 6-8 weeks there has been an absolutely horrendous stench every evening I've visited. The epicentre is at the entrance to the waste site - but it's impossible to tell if it's coming from there or from the giant new building site on the former site of B&Q. It stinks like solvent - white spirit, that sort of thing. It's so strong that I just don't want to breathe the air while walking past. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live in the flats facing the waste centre. One time I came the smell stayed in about a 200 metre radius. Other times, jeez, I got whiffs of it as far down as Plantation Wharf Pier and almost as far as Crown Plaza hotel. I found your post while trying to Google about it but can't find anything. I'm going to call the waste centre, the council and if that doesn't go anywhere, the local paper. The local residents may well have already complained but the stench is still here and being a volatile solvent it must be harmful! It's probably a temporary thing, but watch out nonetheless...
EmiliaMoe1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby EmiliaMoe1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:27 pm

I used to commute past there daily on my bike. I’m afraid in the summer months it was very very smelly, like a well-rotted bin lorry might smell. Didn’t get used to it over time.