Loft Extension

8 posts
gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

Loft Extension

Postby gemima » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Hello,

Looking for GOOD builders to work on our loft extension next year please. Please kindly only put forward people with whom you have worked and have done an excellent job without it costing a fortune.   

Many thanks

greengrass
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Loft Extension

Postby greengrass » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:26 pm

I have used Pristine Finish for years. They are extremely competent, take great pride in their work, and are very honest too which I think counts for a lot. You can reach them on 0800 999 6444.
KathyinLondon
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KathyinLondon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Heya! I highly recommend using APT Renovation, we actually did a loft conversion and couldn't be happier with the results.

Just google APT Renovation Ltd and you should be able to find them no problem, good luck with your build :)
LWade
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LWade » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi,
If it is of any help I have a great deal of experience with completing loft conversions. I have bought and rented out or refurbished and extended for sale numerous houses in Wandsworth over the last few years. I use a team who primarily work in the SW/ Wandsworth area but they have travelled further before for some of my projects ( not sure exactly where you are!). It is hard to find a good team but I have used Clive and his team for all of my projects including extensions, side returns etc and they have completed the project on time, high standard of workmanship/finish and always answer my calls!! Interestingly their prices are extremely competitive- which is crucial to me as I have to stick to very tight budgets.Good luck with finding a good team but if you are interested their number is 07966 476862.
Nightingale1670
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nightingale1670 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi,

I would not recommend APT Renovation at all.

The work was of shockingly poor quality, the workers were unskilled and often didn’t turn up.

I am happy to have a private conversation and explain the issues we had and the horrendous experience.
Nightingale1670
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nightingale1670 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned Greenlife Contractors are the same outfit, i.e the people who are at APT. They have used different Directors and addresses for the business but are all from APT.

My advice for whomever you appoint:
1. Check Companies House and also the financials of the company, how much debt they are the in, the number of companies the Directors are on etc or their connections to other companies
2. Ensure you have an appropriate contract like a JCT, and that the Director of the company is also personally liable. If it’s just the company, they can just dissolve and start another one. If it’s the Director’s named personally, they can be pursued if something goes wrong.
3. Check insurances, how much they subcontract or if they have their own team etc. If they have own team, they should have employers liability etc as well as other insurances.
4. Strongly suggest getting what is known as a performance bond, so covers company going insolvent or not doing works to agreed specification.
5. Size of team, how many jobs at any one time and also to ask for qualifications and experience of each person on team.
Nightingale1670
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nightingale1670 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 pm

All,

I received a couple of message around my post on APT and rather than respond individually, useful to show the connections.

On Companies House, check for APT Renovations and under the 'People' tab, those listed as Directors. Check APT Bespoke Joinery and the people listed as Directors. Connections obvious in terms of Directors. Check the reviews of APT Bespoke Joinery on Yelp. Note that both APT's operate out of the same unit and use the same teams and individuals. Hence my point of asking for detail on the qualifications held by each team member working on your project. 

As mentioned if you decide to go with these, I would strongly suggest that you ensure the Directors are made personally liable in any contract you create, not just their company and a Performance Bond is taken out (google Performance Bond in building works etc and it should come, effectively a type of insurance against unscrupulous companies). 

Note that on a number of profiles who have recommended APT, that you can't actually link through the profile name to see what else that individual has posted previously. Not sure if that highlights a technical issue or something else...
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am

Hi Nightingale1670.

It was me that emailed you through the site! Thanks for posting but please email me today -  annabel@nappyvalleynet.com with a best contact number to call you on, that would be super helpful.

We do need to talk. It will only take a couple of minutes.

Many thanks in advance,

Annabel