Paint Not Sticking to Wall?

4 posts
StevieJa
Share this post on:

Paint Not Sticking to Wall?

Postby StevieJa » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:48 pm

I just started painting a room in my home and found that just one of the walls is having difficulty holding onto the paint. It's like the paint is just sort of slipping off the wall.

What's strange is that the other 3 walls in the room are holding onto the paint just fine, but it's only this 4th wall that is having trouble. The wall is an exterior facing wall, I'm not sure if that matters.

Has anyone had similar trouble with something like this? Any ideas on what to do?
Jonny Dyson Property Consultants
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Paint Not Sticking to Wall?

Postby Jonny Dyson Property Consultants » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 pm

If it's an external facing wall it could well be that it has previously been painted with an oil based paint as opposed to water based.  This may have been because if it's slightly damp, the oil based paint will not allow the old damp patches to show through.  It's a bit like if you have a water leak in your ceiling and it dries out, no matter how much you paint in with a water based paint, the damp mark will still show through.  If you coat it with an oil based paint it will stop the stain.

I would suggest that either you try a tester with some eggshell (oil based) paint and see if that sticks. If it does then either paint that particular wall with eggshell, or if you need to match the colour of the rest of the room then you will need to do a load more prep work.  First of all sand down the wall to give the next layer something for it to 'key' onto, then clean with watered down TSP (trisodium phosphate), then put on a layer or two of bonding primer and then finally you should be able to paint emulsion over the top.  It will take a while though so you may want to just stick with an oil based paint and have it a slightly different colour and/or sheen.

Jonny
StevieJa
Share this post on:

Postby StevieJa » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Your response makes sense, but I just have one question about using an oil based paint. I don't want 1 wall to have a slightly different color than the others, so is it possible to just use an oil based paint on all the walls? I'll have to repaint, but I'd rather do that then have 1 wall that is slightly different.
Jonny Dyson Property Consultants
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jonny Dyson Property Consultants » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Yes, absolutely!!

You could paint the whole room in an acrylic eggshell paint, with no prep work required for the one oil based, or the remaining three walls.  Do remember though that although eggshell is more hard wearing than emulsion, if you ever need to paint over any marks in the future you would need to paint the whole wall as otherwise the patch you would paint would look rather odd.

Jonny