NV/Balham/Hyde farm - quietest streets. Advice needed

3 posts
akrim
Options:
Share this post on:

NV/Balham/Hyde farm - quietest streets. Advice needed

Postby akrim » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Hello, 
We are looking to move to the Nappy Valley, I am unfortunately very noise sensitive and struggled at our old flat, so it would be extremely helpful to hear your opinions around which areas to look into and which ones to avoid.
 Love the Northcote road but the surrounding area is probably a no unfortunately, due to the plane noise. It seems Balham/Hyde farm area are significantly less affected, so looking there now.

I am wondering how you find the Hyde farm area in terms of car, train and airplane noise: 
1) Planes: My impression was that the airplanes are fairly quiet compared to "between the commons", what was this like before the lockdown, please?
2) Trains: how far does it carry? Ie are Burnbury road, Midmoor road etc affected at all?
3) Cars: generally most streets seemed fine! Any streets I should avoid/look out for?

Your opinion will be very much appreciated!!
delsh
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: NV/Balham/Hyde farm - quietest streets. Advice needed

Postby delsh » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:53 am

We moved from Clapham old Town to the Hyde Farm area 5 years ago and how quiet the area is was something that really surprised us when we first moved in! There’s no noise from the trains, the planes are barely noticeable and there’s very little “through traffic” so car noise isn’t a problem unless you’re on Hydethorpe or Emmanuel roads.

I’d say Glenfield and Fieldhouse are probably the quietest but compared to just about anywhere else in Balham or Clapham, any of the Hyde Farm roads are very quiet.
clare74
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: NV/Balham/Hyde farm - quietest streets. Advice needed

Postby clare74 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am

We're on Midmoor and I'd agree that it's extremely quiet. If the wind is in the right (wrong?) direction, we sometimes hear the odd train in the night. If there's any plane noise, it really stands out because it's an exception to the rule- I'm not sure I've ever seen one directly over head. (We've been here 10 years.) The biggest noise is if a neighbour decides to do building work - but that's going to be the same across the city!