Small double beds for teens or double beds||?

4 posts
Mozart
Options:
Share this post on:

Small double beds for teens or double beds||?

Postby Mozart » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:17 pm

I have a question for anyone with teenage children I have a 15 and 14 year old and was about to buy two small double beds but having looked at them I wonder if I should go straight to double beds? Slightly less floor space in the short term which is why I was going for the small double but I wonder if they grow out of this size too quickly?
Would love to know what have others done?
Jonny Dyson Property Consultants
Share this post on:

Re: Small double beds for teens or double beds||?

Postby Jonny Dyson Property Consultants » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:06 pm

For us it was a question of the bed being in proportion to the room, so we went for a standard 4' 6'' double.  Frankly I don't think that she will need anything bigger, and a small 4' double would look a bit odd in the same space.

I did get one with drawers under it on both sides, which in hindsight was an error - we would have been much better with lift up ottoman stlye storage.  Reason being is that the bottom of the drawers are pretty flimsy when they load it up with clothes etc!!

Jonny
We offer clients invaluable insight and support in their acquisition, rental, investment and development of London residential property.
freshairmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby freshairmum » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:31 am

We have just bought our early teenage son a small double and it is big enough i think to last him easily to adulthood, and he's pretty tall for his age.

I went back and forth between a small double and a double, but the double was just going to be fractionally too big for the space and since it seems significantly bigger than his single in terms of being able to spread out then it's good enough, and obviously is a full size length.

Growing up most people i knew only ever had a single bed until we were adults, and if my son's previous single bed hadn't fallen apart i wouldn't have particularly considered it either.

His new bed still has space underneath to have the trundle bed he had previously or to put storage boxes. I looked at the ones that were Ottoman style too but lots of them don't have a base so you end up storing stuff directly onto the floor. Maybe not a problem but just something to note.
freshairmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby freshairmum » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:34 am

I would add to my post above that his previous single was a proper 'adult' single, not a child's short single so he's only upgraded in width.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.