Help getting home prepped for winter

4 posts
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Help getting home prepped for winter

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I am looking for either one firm or separate handymen/ professionals to get my home prepped for winter.
1) I need all the old loft insulation removed, plus some water tanks that have long since been disconnected and are taking up space.
2) New insulation added, skylight at loft access and a loft ladder would be very useful.
3) Whilst the fireplaces look decorative, they aren't used and need insulating/ blocking up.
4) The external drainage pipe for the washing machine is too drafty to be well sealed, that needs re-doing.
5) Two of my windows (double glazing) are sticking and one doesn't have a decent seal. I could go back to Everest but would prefer to use someone local and good.
Can anyone recommend someone that can either some or all of the jobs?
Thanks in advance.
Pop
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help getting home prepped for winter

Postby Pop » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Hello
I don't know anyone i can recommend, but have been thinking about similar jobs around the house recently as we were pretty chilly last winter and have a small baby this winter. One product I've found which I thought might be of interest to you is a 'chimney sheep'. Sounds odd, but it's a wool draft excluder you put up your chimney and we've found it very effective already. The benefits over having your chimney sealed are that it doesn't cause a damp issue and is removeable if you occassionally want to use a fire. Might also cost less than having your chimneys sealed. If you google 'chimney sheep' you should find the company. It's based in Cumbria, but they post the sheep to you.
Pop
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Brilliant Pop, thanks for the recommendation.
fionapm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby fionapm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:20 am

You might be able to get the loft insulation done cheaply if you uses company which has signed up to the government Green Deal. Try a quote from British Gas, you don't need to be a customer.

Have you thought about replacing your curtains or getting them relined with proper thermal interlining? It makes a big difference to heat loss through the windows.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.