Cost of Extension -£115k?

12 posts
Starfish12
Options:
Share this post on:

Cost of Extension -£115k?

Postby Starfish12 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 am

Hello,

We are looking to build an extension where our conservatory is and then to open up the kitchen - no plans to change any of the kitchen as yet. We are also planning to build an extra bathroom upstairs so not a full 2 storey extension but just a pod that will be built on top of the extension. We have had a few companies round to give us a price and most of the quotes have been coming in at around £110 - 115k. This also doesn't include some of the flooring nor the cost of the bathroom. Does this seem reasonable as we had budgeted for £80k. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
besin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Cost of Extension -£115k?

Postby besin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Last year we did a 1 storey rear extension (25sq m new space) for approx. 60K including creation of a small WC under stairs. Good luck with your project!
btcmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby btcmum » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Who did you use besin and would you recommend them? We are in the early stages of planning a similar job. Many thanks!
Brokeblond
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Brokeblond » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am

That is far too much! We are about to start building 25sqm extention in the next two weeks for 60k. Darren is brilliant and have seen his previous projects. He will be busy until September but he can come to quote. When are you planning to start?
Give me a call and I will give the details 07971933573 Lydia
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:00 pm

we had a 25m2 ground floor for 35k not including flooring or final decorating. Found the company through check a trade. can supply details if you want.
However, anything to make a two floor extension will double the price even though you are just building a pod. I would expect a bill of 75-80k for the whole build and try to have a fuller 1st floor extension.
IrenaP
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby IrenaP » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 pm

The toilet pod on top of the extension sounds odd and potentially a complicated way of providing an upstairs toilet. Plumbing can be a very expensive part of the package. Did you ask what exactly was driving the quote upward?
Clairee
Share this post on:

Postby Clairee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:41 pm

I would stay away from the cheapest quote even if they say they will do it. It may be appealing but best not take them. There have been multiple case when builders in middle of the work ask for more money in order to complete or they walk away. Their strategy is to give low value of the work just to get the job and then increase in middle of the work leaving you in tough position. Definitely check the company history if you can not find a builder who has been recommended by someone you know.
Learn how to have lucid dream and you will accomplish much more :!:
NT1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NT1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi,
I can certainly recommend Hurlingham Developments over in Fulham who cover SW London.www.hurlinghamdevelopments.co.uk. Speak to Andrew who will be able to talk about previous projects ranging from basements, lofts, double additions, pods and full refurbs. They also have their own teams and nothing is sub contracted out which means the tender will be priced competitively. Contact Andrew at Hurlingham on 07739174360.

Anyway hope that helps, if you need any pointers on architects then please feel free to contact me as I used to be an agent in SWLondon.

Thanks,

Nigel
m:07787160121
Charlotte @ Draw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Charlotte @ Draw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am

Hello,

I've come across your question with regards to your extension. We're an architecture practice based in Wandsworth and this is something we could definitely help with. If you're interested we could talk through it more and help answer any further questions you may have whilst also getting a better understanding of what it is you're looking to do.

Please feel free to call on 02088746749 or email: info@draw-architecture.co.uk

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Charlotte

http://www.draw-architecture.co.uk
Charlotte Fraser
dRAW Architecture
340 Old York Road, SW18 1SS
020 8874 6749
info@draw-architecture.co.uk
www.draw-architecture.co.uk
LWade
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LWade » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Ho. It's really difficult to give quotes or estimates but all I n.know is that I've used a team of fan builds ex to remodel my houses over the years and I have a number for them if you would like it as they hav always been the best price when projects have gone to tends 07966476862. Good luck!
jackhorn2000
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jackhorn2000 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Hello

Price sounds quite steep . But all depend from specification , and how mych work is needed in other areas of the flat/house because it looks like price could include more than simple extension.
Sometimes glazing specified by architect could be a 20k, Garden works included or not .
From my experience architect run jobs tend to be more expensive as level of details required is much higher , specification is higher and some materials lead time are much longer - leading to delays of the project .All this need to be factored in the total price of the project .
I am a small company and know where money can be saved . No 1 is a construction time and using materials which are in stock or ordered in advance.
Sumarising some extension of similar size could be a 30k and also 60k . The level of detail and specification is a crucial factor.Check our jobs at Ajax builders
szerma
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby szerma » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Starfish,
That does sound a bit excessive, £80K sounds about right. 

I can recommend my builders, they just completely re-did my extension, kitchen and downstairs after builders from hell did everything so badly we had to redo it (6 years ago), they also renovated our loft, did my cloakroom, and other smaller jobs - been using them for 3 years and highly recommend them. Not the cheapest but also not super expensive - they are builders who do work themselves (rather than sub-contract) and are passionate about doing things the right way (I had way too many who take shortcuts).

https://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/ernestas76

Also I saw this post lately - Rob has been the "Northcote Handyman" and it seems there is a new approach to extensions available - perhaps worth considering?

https://www.northcoteextensions.com/