nurseries taking babies off-site?

5 posts
ken11
Options:
Share this post on:

nurseries taking babies off-site?

Postby ken11 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 pm

A nursery I am considering takes babies for walks off-site (e.g to the park in double buggies) even though they have an outside space on-site. Am I right to be concerned about this or is it standard practice? Have you ever seen groups of nursery babies out and about? I always thought something like this would need extra written permission from the parents but it seems like they do it regularly on a more ad-hoc basis and so parents don't always know beforehand. Part of me loves that they do this as it is something I would do but my gut has me worried about road safety and attention of the staff etc. What are your thoughts?
claphamama
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: nurseries taking babies off-site?

Postby claphamama » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

The nursery my daughter attends take them out sometimes - it's not v often and they always ask for written permission from the parents (I thought this was standard practise!) so you can refuse if you don't feel comfortable with it. They never take the entire class because they won't have enough people to cover an outing. Maybe enquire if that's the case with your nursery too. I have to say, this is one of the things that used to worry me before my daughter started nursery. Now I have no issue with it at all and I am very happy when they take them out and trust the staff 100%.
Girliemum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Girliemum » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Yes, pretty standard I think, and I really like it too. It also means that when they are settling in and perhaps not sleeping as they would at home, they will have a little power nap. It also gives them some quiet time as Nuseries can be pretty non stop on the activity and play time. When they are bigger, about three/four they will take them out 'on the rope' to the library, park, zoo etc. all closely monitored.
mommyg
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mommyg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi, I think this is standard practice. My LO not only goes to local parks with her nursery but the post office, petting farms, museums, train stations etc.
We were required to give blanket permission for all outings when we enrolled her. There are two planned outings per month plus some ad-hoc local outings.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.