Home schooling

5 posts
Alhoa
Options:
Share this post on:

Home schooling

Postby Alhoa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:37 am

Hi, I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there that is home schooling their child actually full-time or just trying to fit in bits of home schooling during the week.

Are you teaching your child to read and write, hold a pencil properly, draw etc..? I would love to hear from you about your experiences and age appropriate teaching what you have found that works and doesn’t work.

Thank you
adamdsouza
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Home schooling

Postby adamdsouza » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 am

Hi Alhoa, there’s a charity called Education Otherwise which supports home schooling families. They’ve got some clear explanations and resources on their website.

I’m a teacher and tutor, and I’m currently working with a family who home school their son so I’ve done quite a bit of homework on it myself. There’s no legal requirement to follow the National Curriculum, or adopt any particular structure/routine of learning other than one that is age appropriate and suited to your child’s needs.

Some families (like the boy I’m working with) find it helpful to have some tutors part-time, since a tutor has a different relationship dynamic with a child than parents. But this depends on your child’s age, parenting style, and what you’re aiming to do. There’s also loads of groups around here so I don’t think a home-schooled child misses out socially, which could be a legitimate concern when considering this path.

I’ve also taught a whole family of children in senior school who were home schooled at primary, and they were not disadvantaged. Quite the reverse in fact. If you have time to do it, it’s a brilliant and exciting and loving way to educate your son or daughter. If you’ve got questions or would like contacts, happy to help - pop me a DM. Good luck!
lwilliams2312
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lwilliams2312 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 am

Hi there, 

I am a private language tutor and carry out various homeschooling placements. Please get in touch if you would like anymore information or if you are thinking of homeschooling your child, I would be more than happy to teach them languages. 

Kindest regards, 

Lucinda Williams 

Lucinda Williams
Private language tutor 

M: + 44 7949 245 335
E: lucinda@privatelanguagetutor.com
W: www.privatelanguagetutor.com

Mum2016
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mum2016 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 am

I am also interested in home schooling. My daughter is only 33 months old at the moment but trying to think ahead and consider our options somwoukd also be interested to hear from others with experience of home schooling.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.