Female dogs on heat - please don't walk them on the Common!

19 posts
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Female dogs on heat - please don't walk them on the Common!

Postby dudette » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 am

Well said Just-T. I’m amazed at most of the responses here to what was actually a perfectly reasonably post, if slightly clumsily put. Re the ‘bleeding’ bit - this was a pun on the word used as a slight swear word (bleedin’, bloody, damn etc) and the fact that a dog on heat is bleeding. It’s not unreasonable for her to want to breed from her dog and it is unreasonable to expect all intact males to be kept on a lead when they are otherwise well-behaved. It’s most definitely not reasonable and in fact totally irresponsible for owners of female dogs on heat to walk them on a busy dog-walking area like Wandsworth Common. I don’t have a dog so don’t have an axe to grind. Most dogs on the Common are well-behaved but standing up for the rights of people to walk their dogs on heat will just mean the dogs are a lot worse behaved.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice ... eason.html
Janet14
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Janet14 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 am

I should clarify when I say wouldn’t take them out, not without being on a lead anyway....
K1999
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1999 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm not a dog owner but go on a lot of walks with dog owners whilst walking their dogs. I feel that all dogs have a right to go for walks on the common. Suggesting that male dogs have presidence is hardly fair, as female dogs have just as much right. Female owners could insist that dogs who have not been neutered should be kept on a lead for the same reasons. So perhaps being polite and considerate on both sides is important, and to live and let live. The post comes across as both entitled and rather rude, in my opinion, and I am sure that seeing the opinions on here, the majority think the same way.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm

K1999 - I think you're missing the point. We're not talking about female dogs, we're talking about female dogs on heat. The link I put on my previous post explains the issue - please read it. We're talking about the difference between a female dog on heat having to miss out on a walk for a couple of weeks twice a year and a male dog having to be on a lead the entire time. Most female dogs are spayed either before or after their first season so it isn't like it's going to affect them much, whereas it would affect a male its entire life. The OP is really not being unreasonable and most of the negative comments here seem to be from people who don't really understand the issue.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.