Things we are doing to reduce plastic consumption as a family

3 posts
amumtoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Things we are doing to reduce plastic consumption as a family

Postby amumtoo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Many of us are concerned about the impact of our lifestyles on the environment we live in and many are taking steps to reduce our impact. 

I have written a blog with things we are doing as a family to reduce our plastic footprint, which of course is never ending thanks to the myriad of items that are packaged and wrapped in plastic. 

Coffee cups for one, which are not recyclable because of the plastic film around the paper cup that makes them waterproof. And the plastic lids! 

Crisp packets, also not recyclable because of the metal film. 

However there are initiatives that are showing that companies are up-ing their game and trying to reduce the waste they produce.

Walkers crisps have collection points where they take any type of crips bags and use them for different projects. Most supermarkets will take plastic bags too. 

It should be that we shouldn't produce what we cannot recycle but it is not and we have to try and reduce the mountains and heaps of plastic that end up in landfills and in the oceans. 

A beautiful book for children written by a mum in Raynes Park, “Finn the Fortunate Tiger Shark and his Fantastic Friends” is also a great gift to give for birthday parties to educate children and raise awareness. 

I would love to hear what other families are doing, by the way we are by no means experts. 

https://shimilimears.com/2019/04/15/thi ... on-family/ 

cruzceleste
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Things we are doing to reduce plastic consumption as a family

Postby cruzceleste » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:47 am

In most cases, recycling is part of an overall ‘solid waste services’ package that is offered to residents living in areas. At the side of my house I have two large wheeled bins and three boxes of different colours: black wheeled bin for non recyclable waste, green wheeled bin for organic garden waste, gray box for recyclable plastic waste and metal cans, green box for glass, cardboard and paper, small box for food waste. We can also put certain other items out for recycling. Bottles of used oil, batteries, small electrical items etc.
amumtoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Things we are doing to reduce plastic consumption as a family

Postby amumtoo » Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

That's great that you have these options. We don't have food waste bins in our area unfortunately. 

The amount of things that go into the non-recyclable waste is what I was talking about mostly and everyday items that we all use. They end up in the landfill and these are the ones that we need to reduce as they don't go anywhere. 

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.