Any Swiss Mums? Need advice!

11 posts
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Any Swiss Mums? Need advice!

Postby moops » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi

My Husband and I and our 2 year old Son are possible moving to Switzerland early next year as my Husband is being relocated with his work. His office is in St Prex so we are looking at nice places to live around Geneva, possible Lausanne or Nyon etc. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated as I just don't know where to start! Also looking for good things to do with kids, such as playgroups etc.

I'll be sad to leave Nappy Valley! x
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Any Swiss Mums? Need advice!

Postby Annabel (admin) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Moops! We will miss you SO much. :o

I am tempted to deny all knowledge of anyone in Switzerland to minimise chance of you going but some great friends have just moved there so will ask them to post here.

When might you go? We will start counting down... :cry:

A
Frizz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Frizz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi Moops,

Our family (me, hubby and 3 girls aged 2, 6 & 8) have just made the bold move from Nappy Valley to Switzerland. My husband was also relocated with work to a small town just north of Zurich. We have been here 2 months now. It's a far cry from Nappy Valley and I miss Northcote Road but there is a lot to offer here .. skiing, great weather, space, fresh outdoor living (we still look like city folk out in the country but are working on it!), outdoor thermal swimming pools, ice skating, skiing, Europe on your doorstep, buses and trains that arrive on time, skiing ...!!!

On a more practical note it was the accommodation that we struggled with, we found it difficult to find what we wanted - a great website to use is http://www.homegate.ch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's the prime location of Switzerland as far as I can see). As for expat forums you could try http://www.englishforum.ch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The tourist information is fabulous the main web address is http://www.myswitzerland.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you do decide to make the move then we highly recommend you get your hands on a book called 'Living and Working in Switzerland' by David Hampshire (we have the 12th edition), it tells you all you need to know from accommodation, services, transport, shopping, health care, insurance, education, sports/leisure.....

Good luck, happy to help more if I can
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:39 pm

Thank you so much Frizz! I will have a look at those websites and book, it is so overwhelming! Nothing has been decided yet as we are waiting to see what package we are offered to relocate but it is looking fairly likely that we will make the move. I'm quite excited about the prospect of moving, we have well and truly outgrown our 2 bedroom flat and I think the outdoor lifestyle would suit my Son down to the ground. Plus how great would it be if he learnt French! If we do decide to go we should have a Switzerland Nappy Valley Meet!

Annabel, I'll miss you guys too! I'll still pop in and see what's going on. Thank you so much for your nice messages and for asking Frizz to post her advice! xx
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Moops
there was an interesting article in the Times on Sunday about living in Switzerland, its a bit angled towards tax exiles but still might be relevant...

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l ... 878494.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

A

catief
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catief » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Hello

Depsite my plea for mum chums in the Clapham area it looks like we (me, dh and ds) will be moving to Switerland in Jan for 18 months too. Great advice on the book, I will be straight on to Amazon. I have been on the englishforum and while good, it can be a bit overwhelming and the "veteran" posters are not always very patient with newbies who don't understand what's going on. We will def need a Nappy Valley meet up - we'll be in Verbier so come and ski with us!!

Happy moving.
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Yay! The more the merrier! I know what you mean about those forums, they scare me a bit! Let me know how you go maybe we could swap info and tips. I'll pm you my details.

Thanks for the link A, I wish being rich was the reason we were going! :lol:
catief
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catief » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Moops

While wading through the minefield I have come across this really lovely woman called Jenny who is an English speaking broker in Switzerland. She gets a commission from the insurance companies so doesn't charge and seems to be the guru on englishforum.ch Her email is jenny@inswift.ch She's offered to help me sort it all out on arrival. Hurrah.

Spoke to the Canton immigration people who were really helpful (maybe your visas are being organised for you, but I can advise on who to speak to if not).

Now to sort out tax. Eurgh.

Good luck. Will pm you my details.
catief
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catief » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Just realised you're prob coming at it from a diff perspective (i.e. we've got a house sorted and know the area and have friends there, but need to work out tax, insurance and permits, while you seem to be the other way round...?) so I hope I haven't interfered...!

moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:48 pm

All helpful stuff. Think we'll take this to email! xx
Frizz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Frizz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Moops,

Another few thoughts.
- My husband's work have a 'partner network scheme', they have been an absolute godsend. All like minded people who have been in the same boat as me and there to help, plus loads of networking activities, coffee mornings, toddler outings etc. I didn't know they existed til I reached Switzerland when they made contact with my husband (something rubbish about HR not allowed to share personal information with the scheme until move complete!!). The whole move would have been much simpler had we had contact earlier Perhaps there is something you can link up with now?
- My older kids go the English speaking International school - as part of this you automatically find the expact mums and if it's like ours there are loads of younger siblings, hence my mum group/clubs etc for my youngest. I know you said yours was only 2, but our International school has a nursery intake (they call is EY1 - Early Years 1) which you can start when you are aged 3 for mornings only.

Cheers

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.