Advice for suing my freeholder

3 posts
StephO
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice for suing my freeholder

Postby StephO » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:36 am

Hi NVN community,
Hoping for some advice as I’m desperate. Have had a damp problem on and off for 5 years which worsened considerably in the last year. Have mold growing out the walls now. In spite of my pleas, freeholders (via managing agents) have been slow to act. Work was meant to start last week (after 6 months of begging) but the day before, I was notified that one of the freeholders wants another quote. I’m beyond frustrated as these seem like delay tactics to me and I would now like to take legal action against the freehold. Anyone been in similar situation, have a recommendation for a good solicitor?
iloveminirolls
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice for suing my freeholder

Postby iloveminirolls » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:19 pm

I don't have any advice to offer as such but naming and shaming seems to work every time on national TV. I would tell the agent that this is what you plan to do and see if you can get them to add some weight to your plight. Alternatively, can you deduct a fair amount from your rent until it is sorted? Freeholders make me mad.
maze
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice for suing my freeholder

Postby maze » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 am

Hi - first step would be to speak to the Leaaehold advisory service.. you can book an appointment, it’s a free service and they’re pretty good.

I’d also check your lease for the clause around freeholder obligations. It’s usually fairly vague but you can use that in comms with the management company - you can raise a corporate complaint if they’re not responding - ask the LAS (anbove) about that.

You also may want to just arrange for a builder to look at the problem and consider paying yourself if it’s relatively simple - the freeholder will charge you for it anyway, but obvs it will be shared with your co-freeholders.. but you’ll pay more collectively as they’ll charge fees etc.

https://www.lease-advice.org/

Good luck and pm me if you want the details of a property lawyer.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.