Which family car?

6 posts
havingababy
Options:
Share this post on:

Which family car?

Postby havingababy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 am

My husband is becoming obsessed with car magazines in a quest to find the perfect family car!! Being not much of a car person myself, I don't really have much input - so the conversation is a little one sided! Wondered what cars you all drive and what works best with a little one? We don't have a massive budget, so want to get something that's got longevity, space for a buggy and is going to keep us safe should we be in a accident.
mrs_crumble
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Which family car?

Postby mrs_crumble » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 pm

My husband was just the same - think it must be in their DNA! WE went for a VW Tiguan and we love it.
Almost_sane
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Almost_sane » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Car choice may depend on what buggy you choose. I have a bugaboo chameleon, which I love for charging about pavements, trains and the parks...but it is quite bulky for the boot of the car.

We got a Volvo V70 while I was pregnant which fits the bugaboo is super-easily so you don't have to faff about with it while getting your little one into the car. My brother has a golf, which is great for parking, but a nightmare when they go away with 2x kids, car seats, buggy, cots etc...

My wise old dad's advice was "get a big car with lots of boot space. Once you've decided to get a big car, get a really spacious one. You won't ever notice that your car is too big, but you will notice every single time it is too small" ;)
Lucullus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lucullus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Any car on the road will keep you pretty safe. If you end up with an SUV / 4x4 variant, then you're going to be paying through the nose to drive it around, given normal average speeds around here.

We have a second hand Prius which costs beans to run, generally (car tax, petrol, servicing, etc.). The boot isn't huge, but when we've borrowed a bigger car, we've just found that we pack it with more stuff to fill the available space.

It fits two of us with two children and is really pretty functional - I'm not sure I can immediately think of what I would swap it for, given your parameters.

(Of course, if you're choosing tens of thousands of pounds worth of car based on the several hundred pound buggy you've purchased, I'd suggest you're doing it the wrong way round ...)
Randoll's
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Randoll's » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

there's nothing to it the only car to have is a Range Rover, oodles of space,your so high up that god forbid you do have an accident with another car they'll just slide underneath yours. Built to last forever, i have 23 month old twins baby jogger double buggy and a weeks shopping fits in boot rather nicely and if your worried about the size you will get used to it and you also find out that MOST other drivers tend to let you go on a tight road.
i went for the diesel model. i use it most days and don't find the running costs too much

HighchairHostess
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby HighchairHostess » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 am

Have to agree on the 4x4 front.... we have a Discovery and love it! Tonnes of space, lovely and safe, and pretty comfy too...

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.