Best options for couples therapy

2 posts
Btc_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Best options for couples therapy

Postby Btc_mum » Tue May 21, 2024 10:33 am

Hi,
I wondered if anyone had any advice about the best sort of therapy for couples. I get overwhelmed my the options out there (coaching? CBT? Psychology?) and end up doing nothing!

As a family with young kids, has anyone found it hard to get to therapy in person and tried doing it online? Is it weird to sit there as a couple in a room and speak to someone online? Or is it weirder to come back and have to interact with a babysitter after a session where I’ve probably been crying?!

Can anyone recommend someone they’ve personally seen and really felt has helped their marriage? I feel that communication is the key thing we need to work on.

Sensitive answers only please!
Moonlightdawn
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Best options for couples therapy

Postby Moonlightdawn » Fri May 24, 2024 1:38 pm

Hi

We found our wonderful marriage counsellor via the Awareness Centre. They have a branch in SW4 and also Tooting.

We have done it both face-to-face and online (thanks to the lockdowns) with our therapist. I'd only do online if I had met them and build a rapport.

It takes courage and perseverance (and sadly, a lot of expense). We get a babysitter each week (pay them two hours). We tell our children that mummy and daddy are off to have dinner together and hang out (not a bad message to give to your children).

I believe counselling has saved our marriage. It's no walk in the park and there are many times when I genuinely dread going to the sessions. But it forces you both to talk about difficult situations and ultimately, develop more compassion towards each other. It's helped me to look at myself more deeply and examine my reactions to certain scenarios.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.