Student Visa questions

4 posts
Bee@lifeafterlondon
Share this post on:

Student Visa questions

Postby Bee@lifeafterlondon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:19 pm

hello we have an amazing au pair from mexico who is thinking about going home to apply for a student visa so she can return to live with us. I understand that under the law you can work for 10 hours whilst here on a student visa, and live in. Does anyone know the minimum hours the course has to be and also how much money you have to have in your bank account to get the visa? Alternatively does anyone know a magic way of enabling us to keep our wonderful mexican after her holiday stamp expires.
CHT
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Student Visa questions

Postby CHT » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:27 am

Hi, there isn't a short answer to this question, as it very much depends what course she would study and where. Eg students at a private FE / HE college get no work entitlement, students at a publicly funded FE college get the ability to work ten hours a week, students at a university get 20 hours a week. The amount of money needed to qualify for a Tier 4 visa (aka a student visa) varies according to where the course is and how long it is. The course has to be full-time and at a college, school or university with a licence from the UK Border Agency to enrol international students. The easiest thing to do is read this website carefully - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -students/

On options for your au pair to stay here, it depends how she entered the UK in the first place. Eg if she is here as a visitor (which I guess she did, as you mention her "holiday" in your post) she has to go home to apply for a Tier 4 visa, but in this case she isn't allowed to be working at all at the moment and you could get in trouble for employing her illegally... If she entered through another route she may be able to switch into the Tier 4 route from within the UK - the web site above should be able to help work this out too. There isn't a legal magical route, I'm afraid!

Feel free to message me if you have any other queries along these lines

Hope this is helpful.
mummytimestwo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mummytimestwo » Fri May 18, 2012 5:40 pm

How 'bad' is it to employ an au pair from mexico here on a holiday visa? We have the option also.
CHT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CHT » Fri May 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Short answer? It's illegal

Up to you both to decide whether you want to take the risk of being found out and being prosecuted (probably minimal, bit nonetheless has significant consequences, especially for the au pair)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.