Carmen Suite St Georges

4 posts
Birth&PostnatalDoula
Share this post on:

Carmen Suite St Georges

Postby Birth&PostnatalDoula » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 am

Hello everyone,

I have a lady who is due to give birth at the beginning of Feburary and has oppted for the Carmen suite at St Georges. Does anyone have experience of this suite. Would be lovely to know both positive and negative.

As a birth an post natal doula I have not yet been to this hospital and would just like to prepare myself as they are not allowing 'tours' due to swine flu (quite rightly so!)

Anyhelp would be very much appreciated.

Please do view my website http://www.earthboundbaby.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many Thanks

Amanda
Yours Sincerely

Amanda Denton

http://www.earthboundbaby.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
07515 123124
aliced
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Carmen Suite St Georges

Postby aliced » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am

Hi,
I had my daughter in the Carmen Suite in Feb 09 and had a very positive experience. The 2 midwives I had contact with were really lovely. I used a birth pool and then spent about 6-8 hours in their separate postnatal ward. They made sure I was able to go home that night as I wanted. I couldn't fault them or the facilities but then I did have a very straightforward experience and it was my second birth.
Alice
Twirly
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Twirly » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 pm

I had my first baby in the Carmen Suite a few months ago. Would really recommend it. I also used the birthing pool - they have gas and air available if you want to use it. The midwife at my birth was lovely - very calm and even stayed post her shift to ensure she saw my daughter born. The delivery rooms are really large and have their own en-suite shower rooms for cleaning up following the birth. We were allowed to stay in the room for 3 hours following the birth and then I got transfered to their own post-delivery ward (each room has 4 beds) and stayed 1 night.

All in all a positive experience!
Helen72
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Helen72 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I would have loved to give birth in the carmen suite, but it is often closed, it depends on the number of midwives available, so please warn your lady that its a possibility and not to get her heart set on it. I was able to go to the post natal part of the unit for a couple of hours, but it was shut again part way through the shift and I returned to the Gwillam ward.