Inappropriate comments at work - advice please

6 posts
bel35
Options:
Share this post on:

Inappropriate comments at work - advice please

Postby bel35 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 pm

I work for a FTSE company with a reasonable female employee base but with the usual challenge that they tend to be at the lower levels in the organisation. Senior management talk about wanting senior female representation but blame confidence, women choosing to drop out to raise their families etc. This of course can be the case but there are other reasons especially in such tough economic times.

Many areas, including mine, are going through a restructuring (ie redundancy) process. While I was on holiday the all-male senior team of my area got together in a formal meeting to determine the future of our junior colleagues. HR was in the room, however the boss wasn't. I was told that the conversation included the following comments about two different individuals:
- 'you have to remember that she has 4 children and is returning from maternity leave' when one colleague went to choose a highly qualified lady over a less experienced male, when she had already been rejected by others.
- 'she's not committed, she's only interested in doing the 9 to 5 and then getting home to see her kids. she talks about them all the time'

Also, one of the team had requested advice from HR on how to mark another lady done whilst keeping within the rules as he didn't want her.

This wasn't just pub chat, but a formal and hugely important meeting.

I can't imagine that these comments would have been made had I present. Nevertheless, the actions and outcome may have been the same. While this was told to me confidentially, I feel like I should do something about it and intend to speak to the boss but am not sure of the right approach to take.

Any thoughts?
Louisetaft
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Inappropriate comments at work - advice please

Postby Louisetaft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:06 pm

It's a really difficult one. They are clearly discriminatory comments and the context suggests these stereotypical views are influencing redundancy decisions. Whistleblowing on this kind of behaviour is however a big step, particularly when you only have this information second hand. Whether or not you decide to do anything may well be influenced by how you expect your boss to react. Do you think speaking out might change the decisions made? Knowing you might make a difference could make it easier to say something.
bel35
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bel35 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm

you're right it is a big step and i haven't been in the team that long to gauge the boss's reaction unfortunately. Also, as you say it's second hand and so I doubt that I can do anything official. However, everyone wants to be seen to be doing the right thing and I wonder whether making the boss aware that this happened, and that in different circumstances he would have a serious issue on his hands, would have a reasonable impact.

I just want to make sure I do what I can with this info as I am sure important decisions are made, both consciously and sub-consciously, elsewhere on this discriminatory basis but I have never been in a position to do something positive to address the issue.
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jen66 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm

How would the person who told you in confidence feel about you taking things further?

Is it likely to get him/her in trouble or make their life difficult?
Beketaten
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Beketaten » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm

As you weren't there, I don't think you can or should do anything. Your source clearly isn't comfortable with what happened, but it would be up to him to take this to your boss, if he chooses to. If you would have attended this meeting if you hadn't been on holiday, it would be reasonable to ask for explanation of the meeting's outcomes though.

FWIW I don't have much of a problem with what was said (assuming it was true about the women involved). Commitment to the job IS important, not just an employee's skills or experience. If difficult choices have to be made about who to keep on, I can see how someone who always leaves at 5pm on the dot could be overtaken by another who is prepared to put in more time.

Camille
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Camille » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Sadly have to agree with Beketaten

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.