Mobile mast threat - urgent help needed!!!

6 posts
JKK
Options:
Share this post on:

Mobile mast threat - urgent help needed!!!

Postby JKK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Urgent attention fellow mummies, daddies or Balham residents!!

EE are planning to install four mobile masts on the Territorial Army building on Balham High Road. The TA building is in an immediate proximity to a number of children’s establishments: it is just 15m away from Rutherford House School and approx. 150m or less from 3 others (Eveline Day school - 45m, Bertrum House -150m and Baby Room nursery 100m), not to mention Berie and Boo play center -70m. Furthermore the TA building already hosts six visible Vodaphone antennas!

We are very concerned about the increased level of EM radiation on school premises and the eventual health consequences for the kids.

The councilors for Bedford have already been approached and they are working on the case. The advice received from them is that we need a local support and publicity to stop these masts. Therefore I’ve created the petition attached below, which opposes the placement of the additional masts.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-m ... r-children

If you share our concerns, please help us protect our children by signing the petition even though you or your families might not be directly affected!

It will be great if you can share it with your friends and neighbors. Some of their children might be going to the schools in question, some might be sharing these beliefs as a matter of principal. We will need all the support that we can get. It will take only a minute of your time but it could make a big difference!

Your help and support is really appreciated!!
Attachments
kid.jpg
kid.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 392 times
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Mobile mast threat - urgent help needed!!!

Postby boonkoh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:47 am

This is a really tricky subject and needs a lot more facts to make a decision. The impact is actually thousands of people, not just the kids, as bad mobile reception has an impact on many lives in this technological age.

It is definitely right to be concerned by the increased radiation, but before everyone jumps on one bandwagon or the opposite bandwagon, the full set of facts are required, including both benefits and harm.
Clare Lupton
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Clare Lupton » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:12 pm

The health impact is much less if we have more masts. The closer the masts the less work the phones have to do & the less intense the effects. The further away the masts the more intense. It seems counter-intuitive, but the physics works like that.
JKK
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JKK » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Clare,
What you are saying below is true for mobiles.
Indeed if mobiles work on low reception area they emit more while the phone call lasts
However as the masts are constantly transmitting calls from different users they are constantly radiating.
If there would be no mast in the vicinity of the children, they would not be subject to these constant radiation waves
mungomuffit
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mungomuffit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 pm

JKK, do you use a mobile phone? If you do, even my dwindling brain understands that the masts have to go somewhere. I live a couple of streets away from the TAA building and have young children, but where do you suggest the masts be put, if not there?

I remember the same debate happening in the Abbeville road area about 7 years ago when I lived there and I was up in arms against it. But now I just think that it is a major case of NIMBYism.

By the way JKK, that photo you posted along with your thread of the screaming toddler and half of her face turning into a skeleton makes you come across at a total loony tune!
JKK
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JKK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am

Hello mungomuffit,
I do have a phone - but as per my previous reply - there is a major legal and practical difference between having a mobile and living close to a mast. In most simple terms it all comes down to the fact - that I am not on the phone all the time and as such not a subject to radiation. Also it's my personal choice whether to have one and whether or not to use it.
However in a mast situation children are largely unable to remove themselves from exposures to harmful substances in their environments. Their exposure is involuntary. There is a major legal difference between an exposure that an individual chooses to accept and one that is forced upon a person, especially a dependent.
I am not against mobile technology, but a mast next to school is really unacceptable given that "children are more vulnerable to RF/MW radiation because of the susceptibility of their developing nervous systems. RF/MW penetration is greater relative to head size in children, who have a greater absorption of RF/MW energy in the tissues of the head". I see that an alternative place is needed and I understand that it will be difficult to find as many people have reservations about the mast radiation. I also see - you are not one of them and you live close to the TA center.So in the next post please provide your address - it looks like we can use it as an alternative for the mast location. It will be great - you'll have a really good reception and we will be one worry less.