Last minute birthday party cancellations. Opinions please!

21 posts
Medway
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Last minute birthday party cancellations. Opinions pleas

Postby Medway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 pm

My Son attends an International School where we live (in Europe) and organising social events can be tricky when there are up to 10 nationalities involved, all with different perspectives. I found it strange when I arrived from South London to find that kids' party invitations are usually sent out with one week or, very occasionally, 10 days notice. In other words you get the invite on Friday or Monday for a party the following Saturday.

Actually this works really well - your child is either free or he/ she isn't, you normally know what you plan to do as a family that weekend so either commit or say no (and everyone sticks to it). You might be thinking but if I leave it that late no-one will be able to come, but I don't think that is true. Many people (as evidenced by the horribly high percentage of last minute drop outs) do NOT allow an accepted kids party invite to stand in their way of a better offer/ decision to go away etc.

A month in advance and I think parents tend to tick yes in the full knowledge they will just pull out if that weekend at Grandma's happens. It's taken me a while to shed my Londoner/ advance planner/ excessive organisation mindset and relax into this way - but this year I gave the teacher the invites on Monday and had 11 yes and 7 no replies by Weds. Party bags/ cake organised/ final numbers to venue Thursday. Party Sunday with 11 guests as expected.
mungomuffit
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mungomuffit » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Medway wrote: A month in advance and I think parents tend to tick yes in the full knowledge they will just pull out if that weekend at Grandma's happens.
Medway, really?! Yikes, if that is true then we live in even more of a shallow and cynical world than I realised. Interesting point you make though about non UK courtesies ... the parties that pulled out were French and Polish (at the last minute when it was too late to get a refund or replace with another child), so perhaps it is a culture clash.
chattymama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chattymama » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

It's hugely rude. Even worse than last-minute 'lame' cancellations for regular grown-up parties, as there's both the disappointment of the child and the cost-per-head element (not to mention effort on the part of the parents).

Of course sometimes - sometimes - it is unavoidable, due to illness, genuine crisis etc. In those cases, if you are the person doing the cancelling, my advice would be to apologise profusely (and sincerely), and give the child an extremely nice gift.
Julialouisebailey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Julialouisebailey » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

I just organised a picnic for my daughter's 1st, thought I was being efficient sending the invite out a month in advance by email then following up with an actual event invite, sent an email out 4 days before the event asking people to rsvp so I could buy the food. I have very little money & everyone knows that, out of 31 that I invited 8 bothered responding & only 2 turned up. Honestly, I was devasted. I had 3 cancellations the day before, someone actually told me they had "managed to get ticket's to a festival". I had already bought all the (perishable) picnic food. Some people I had beenfriends with for over 10 years. I would rather make new friends than waste time inviting people who don't have the courtesy to respond.
petal
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby petal » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:37 pm

I have decided that this is the first and last time I do an expensive party as it's just been upsetting from the start.

Just had another drop out and without an actual apology, but just stating why they can't come and "therefore we can't come"

First I had to chase people for replies, then wait for the yes replies to turn into no for lame reasons.

My daughter doesn't even care as she would be as happy to have a party at home which we already did for her with just family.

What I don't want is to turn up at her party and have a half empty room as we've been unlucky with people being away or unable to commit to a date or manage to put it in their diary... :(

NEVER AGAIN
tooposhtopush
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tooposhtopush » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:29 am

At least you didn't INVOICE them.

Check out this DM story!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 15-95.html