National Trust recommendations please

7 posts
Mummymoo
Options:
Share this post on:

National Trust recommendations please

Postby Mummymoo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 pm

I have National Trust membership and I am struggling to use it. I am trying to find places to take my daughters (5 and 3) that are not too far from London and Ideally accessible by train.

Chartwell and Cliveden look good. Has anyone been and got advice?

I know about Morden Hall Park which is lovely but free, so I don't really feel I am using my membership very economically

Thank you
mgb
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: National Trust recommendations please

Postby mgb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Claremont Landscape Garden in Esher and Knole House in Sevenoaks are also lovely.
mungomuffit
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mungomuffit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:57 pm

We have just signed up too. I totally recommend Ham House, just past Richmond.

There is an activity trail inside the house that your 5 year old would probably like (my 6 year old did), which gave us a bit of free reign to admire the historic paintings and furniture. The gardens are extensive and beautiful and they let you borrow (for free) activity sets to play with in the gardens, plus there were other things going on when we were there, like "build a den". Lots of families enjoying the atmosphere. The cafe is very good too for lunch or snacks. Final thumbs up is that it is right on the Thames with a path going alongside.

We are definitely going to get our money's worth from the membership because we are doing a few UK holidays this year with NT properties nearby.
Geegee007
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Geegee007 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Emmetts Garden nr Oxted is lovely for a picnic as is Nymans nr Haywards Heath. I love Chartwell as the history is fascinating, but it was not massively interesting for my 3yo.
I used to live near Knole (Sevenoaks) which is beautiful parkland, great for long walks, spotting deer and hunting for 'treasure'.
Geegee007
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Geegee007 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 pm

I've also heard Polesden Lacey is good, but have yet to go
twomonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twomonkeys » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:11 pm

I would second Ham House and Polesden Lacey (although the latter doesn't have a good playground).

Claremont Gardens is a favourite of ours and is quite near (via Kingston) and has a great wooden playground as well as a kind of games pavillion.

Chartwell is further, but great on a lovely day as there are beautiful grounds.

It sometimes helps to join the facebook group for the properties that you are interested in, as they update you with activities during the holidays and special events.
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 am

Chartwell is beautiful and lots of hills to run up and down. Many of the properties have kid-related things all set up once you arrive.

Also, the National Trust has a "50 things to do before you're 11 3/4", with loads of ideas of things to do at almost any property (or in a park or at a beach, etc.). It's on their website, I think, and you used to be able to get the booklet at properties (maybe you still can).