Managing part time pre school hours with work

2 posts
Mrs Fudge
Options:
Share this post on:

Managing part time pre school hours with work

Postby Mrs Fudge » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am

Hi everyone, 

I am considering sending my son to one of the part time pre schools when he is 2 (where sessions are e.g. 9-12 or 12-3pm, term time only). He is currently in full time day care 9-6pm. 

I am curious how other people manage pre school when they work full time? Even if my son is able to get a full time place at one of the pre schools (so 9-3pm), I still would't be home from work until 5.30. But the majority of nurseries between the commons seem to be part time hours - as these mostly used by families where there is one stay at home parent? Or do people use after school nannies, au pairs or childminders?

I am new to all this, so trying to work out where to start. In some ways, I think keeping him in his current full time day care would be a lot easier. But some of the part time pre schools do look ver good, so am curious to see if we could make it work!

Thanks.
wonkymonkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Managing part time pre school hours with work

Postby wonkymonkey » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:56 am

I’ve seen it work a few ways:
One option is to see if any of the teachers or assistants at the school (or another pre-school) want a job in the afternoons and holidays as a nanny. That has worked well for a family I know.

Another is to have care from 12 or 3 but then what do you do in the holidays.

Or a full time nanny which covers the holidays but that becomes much more costly.

One thing I would say if your child still naps is that my experience (only one pre-school) is they’re not set up to accommodate that. It might depend on the pre-school but in a few the lunch is optional and the afternoon activities are optional with children staying for them when they don’t have a nap anymore. That said, there was one boy who would still nap on the circle time carpet during the afternoon club he stayed for. Hope that helps.