Help! HR advice required

5 posts
Muma2max
Options:
Share this post on:

Help! HR advice required

Postby Muma2max » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 am

I've just handed in my notice having only been back at work 5 months since having my boy which means I have to repay the maternity pay over statutory that I had. This is a ridiculous amount and I'm only leaving because I think it's the only way I can progress in my career, but they are wanting to take most of the amount I owe out of my final salary. Are they allowed to do this? Has anyone got any advice? If they do this then we can't afford both childcare and our mortgage which scares me a lot, especially wih it being Christmas.

Thank you... I'm only panicing mildly!!!
Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help! HR advice required

Postby Roo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 pm

I think they are entitled to do this. Is it made clear in you contract that this is the case? Are you owed any holiday pay as this accrues whilst you are on mat leave? Perhaps if the worse comes to the worst you could stay and then leave after a year if that is what the minimum term is in your contract. Seems very harsh.
Muma2max
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Muma2max » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Sadly I've found out it's in my contract. Hopefully they will understand my side of things...
lorrwa
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lorrwa » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm

It is harsh, but if its in your contract/maternity arrangements then yes they are entitled to do it. Some companies will waive it, but others (big ones with HR admin departments) won't. Worth asking them if they will waive it, or come to a compromise?

As Rionne says check that they are including any holiday, bank holiday and bonus payments that would have accrued over your maternity period too.

good luck!
Muma2max
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Muma2max » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks lorrwa. I don't mind paying it because I knew the policy. It's more that they are taking it out of my final salary leaving it as zero. I'm hoping they will stagger the repayment but I'm yet to hear.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.