Fulham PrepPrep vs. Newton

4 posts
ARR
Options:
Share this post on:

Fulham PrepPrep vs. Newton

Postby ARR » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

Hi
any suggestions, comments on the two schools. My son just got a spot in both schools...pro/cons would be very appreciated. I don't live in London yet so need some motherly advice. Or shall I wait to go through the assessment at Thomas' Battersea and Knightsbridge (although they don't have a spot at the moment for sept)
thanks
A
SREducation
Share this post on:

Re: Fulham PrepPrep vs. Newton

Postby SREducation » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Hello, I know both of these schools well.
I have no personal affiliation with either school, so this is my personal view. But if you would like to understand my philosophy behind my argument, have a look at storekrichardsoneducation.com where I am one of the founders. We deal with challenges like yours all the time. I really hope you will be able to find the right solution - and the most 'fitting' school - for your son.

They are both good schools and your child will do well in either school, but where will he be happiest and develop a sense of confidence?
Some areas you may like to consider: how close will you be to the school? This will effect your daily routine, in and out of the car in London traffic or walking and talking with your son? Most of the children going Fulham Prep will live close to the school whereas Newton Prep will be spread out. Think about playdates and trips to the park after school.
Which Head did you like? Is the Head staying? Both schools are big, 4 or 5 reception classes, will your son cope in this situation or get lost at play time with so many children about?
Look at class size and do they have teacher assistants? Vitally important in Reception. Lunch is also an important settling in time for young children, how do they deal with this and what are the menus like?
I always feel it is important to look carefully at who owns the school and what are they putting back in to the school. What are future plans of the growth of the school, any building projects?
If you are really undecided about which school, ask if you can go back and see the schools again, this will probably make your mind up for you, go with your gut feeling. If you are still not sure, ask to see the number of complaints they had in the last couple of years. They will also have data on how well the children have achieved.
I am sure you have already, but perhaps try to imagine where your child will be happiest now and in three years time and where will he will fit in best. Also where will your family fit in.
Fulham Prep, perhaps more English families who may move out to the country at some stage, Newton Prep, English but many Chelsea families opting for a school that offers everything in one place. At Fulham Prep your child does move at Y3 to a large building. If your child does not perform as the school expects, what do they do to help, do they let you stay on?
Really difficult to imagine your child entering the 11 plus or 13 plus but look ahead, where do the children go next? The time will come around faster than you think!
Do drop us an email how he is getting on, once you decide on a school!
I hope this is helpful.
SREducation
SREducation
Share this post on:

Postby SREducation » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:20 pm

I have had a few people who have asked for our website, so here you are: SREducation is http://storekrichardsoneducation.com.
nycmommy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nycmommy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 am

I don't know anything about Fulham, but my daughter attends Newton and we all love it.

The parents are very down to earth, and it's a great mix of cultures. I love the fact that she can tell us all about Diwali, Chinese New Year, and has explained to me that some of her friends are "Halal" etc.

The new headmistress is wonderful and always seems happy to be there. Every morning she greets my chatty little four-year-old and discusses the daily pocket toy that she brings in.

I agree on the commute can be a bit of a pain, and yes, all her friends are spread out, so playdates may not be walking distance, but again not the end of the world.

You'll get a vibe for the right one.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.