Senior/secondary schools restricting phone use

18 posts
Abbmun
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Senior/secondary schools restricting phone use

Postby Abbmun » Tue May 28, 2024 7:32 pm

Manta - I couldn’t agree more - and interested to note you work in tech, as the smartphone ban seems commonplace with the Silicon Valley techies for their own children..

This is about schools banning smartphones completely on site, not just having them put away in lockers etc - ie a real change in the normal phone ban policies that have been in place across schools to date - and the result of schools taking these steps is that it is more likely parents won’t buy a smartphone for home use, far less likely that those who don’t have an ‘out of school’ smartphone will be socially isolated as they will no longer be a minority, less chance of being mugged on the common for devices, less at risk of all the hazards that come with social media access etc etc etc..

I am very sure many more schools will adopt this stance over the next year and the debates in government that have been taking place over the last few mths suggest more significant changes in government policy to protect our children are likely too.
LAV000
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LAV000 » Tue May 28, 2024 11:22 pm

From what I understand about what Emanuel, Streatham & Clapham, Alleyn’s etc are saying to parents, they are seriously concerned about the effect of smartphones and social media on their children’s wellbeing and academic attainment, so are really discouraging parents from giving smartphones at all, at least at the younger end of the school.

I am definitely swayed by this approach when looking at secondaries! I would absolutely love for my children to go to a school where a significant proportion of their friends were not on smartphones/social media, at least for the first couple of years. The approach taken by these schools really helps parents make their mind up about when to give a smartphone without the fear factor that their child will be the only one without one. I’m all for it!!
bunny20
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bunny20 » Fri May 31, 2024 3:05 pm

I applaud these schools for taking this stance to help protect our growing children from social media/smartphones. Mobile phone policies will certainly be a major factor in our decision making (when our children reach secondary school age) and we are choosing schools. I understand the fears parents have about children on public transport etc but children managed on buses/trains when travelling to and from school for years (decades even) before phones were even a thing. They will be safer, more independent/resilient and happier without these smart phones.  Well done Streatham and Clapham and Emmanuel Schools! You will certainly be on my 'schools lists' when it comes to secondary education for my children and I am totally in support of your new policies. 

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.