Is sixteen a 'big birthtday'?

3 posts
i miss the wombles
Options:
Share this post on:

Is sixteen a 'big birthtday'?

Postby i miss the wombles » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:06 pm

Apologies if this comes across as naive but is sixteen a 'big' birthday like eighteen and twenty-one? I ask only as I have a god daughter about to turn sixteen and when I asked my friend for any ideas I received a few pricey gifts (Tiffany!) as it was a 'big' birthday.

Happy to oblige just hadn't realised sixteen was such a big thing and also wondering if that means there will be big gifts for eighteen and twenty one as well. Sorry if this comes across mean. I'm not mean but also not rolling in it :-)
Yikes
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Is sixteen a 'big birthtday'?

Postby Yikes » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:09 am

Thanks to American influence with accompanying TV shows, 16 has become a big birthday. The TV shows usually involve some sort of epic bash with the child receiving their first car from their parents. This doesn’t totally translate as the driving age is much different but may have set unrealistic expectations. Particularly as 18 and 21 are still considered big birthdays.

Unsure about your and your friends finances but perhaps a gift midway between the sort of thing you would usually buy and the type of gift you would consider for their 18th would be more appropriate. The gift will still be something special but will give you somewhere to go for her 18th.

Good luck x
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Is sixteen a 'big birthtday'?

Postby dudette » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:31 pm

I have a 16 year old and an 18 year old and it definitely isn’t a big thing. Maybe in Chelsea but not round here. Save your money for her 18th!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.