cfs/pvs

2 posts
newtonorthcote
Options:
Share this post on:

cfs/pvs

Postby newtonorthcote » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Hello!
Desperate to hear form anyone who has been through post viral syndrome or similar. I have been ill for so long now and am looking for hope. Fairly desperate so please do contact me if you think you can help me see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have small children and i just want my life back....
Many thanks in advance
HW_Lucy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: cfs/pvs

Postby HW_Lucy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:02 am

Hi,

I've been there - and badly. A virus in 2007 transformed me for ultra-fit (endurance events/extreme sports in my spare time) & big career to bed-bound. I went up and down, but was never very well for c. 7 years and lost my career along the way. BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO TAKE THAT LONG!

My worst years were pre-motherhood - but I have had the odd bad relapse post becoming a Mum (& now single Mum to a 3yr old boy who is more athletic, boisterous and energetic than any other I've ever met - so I do empathise on how challenging this is). - It's natural to put our children's needs before our own - but when Mum's health is at risk she needs to start putting herself first as above all, children need a functioning Mum.

I had absolutely no clue and very poor advice in the early days. I was in denial and pushed myself in the early months when I should have been resting.

In my experience (and I've met many with the condition in my search for recovery) there's basically a short-term and a long-term dimension.

Short-term: Avoid over-doing it at all costs. Stay within your limits. Ask for help. For me, my biggest problem was physical exertion, but I know of others who more struggled with mental stimulation (e.g. excessive use of screens). You need to give you body a break to heal.

Long-term: Learn to look after yourself, lower stress and sort out any existential stuff that may be wearing you down. Without this, you may recover only partially - and/or it will be liable to return. Maybe learn to meditate, get better at setting boundaries, get your partner to do more, take some 'me-time', - it will depend on your situation. But also to take a long hard look at your life and work (relationships, work, home, family). All these things can cause chronic stress which is cumulative and impairs mind, body & particularly the immune system. - If this isn't dealt with, it's easy for the day-to-day reality of caring for your children to push your body over the edge.

Quick fix: If you're desperate for a boost to keep your head above water, the one thing I'd suggest is acupuncture. It's something I've only recently discovered (I thought I'd tried everything possible over the 7 yrs!) - I recently had a relapse caused by a stomach bug and was in bed for a week with PVF post recovering from bug itself. The acupuncturist got me back on my feet and has accelerated my recovery.She is leading in her field and combines with cranial osteopathy & other modalities. She's in Molesey/Hampton Court area, so maybe rather a schlep for you - but has easy parking.

Sorry for the lengthy mail - It's an emotive subject to me. - I am now re-building my career with my own venture in the field of Wellbeing in the Workplace, with a special interest on how this impacts women.

Do PM me if you'd like details of the acupuncturist or anything else.

Lucy

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.