Recommend an airport minicab service that doesn't make you wait hours for pickup? Uber on the spot?

4 posts
SouthLondonDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Recommend an airport minicab service that doesn't make you wait hours for pickup? Uber on the spot?

Postby SouthLondonDaddy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am

Can you recommend a minicab service, from Heathrow to SW London, that doesn't make you wait hours for pickup?

I know there are a gazillion airport minicab services, however, it seems they all subcontract to drivers who wait parked somewhere far from the airport, then only make their way to the airport after you have confirmed with them on the phone that you have picked up your luggage. The last couple of times I ended up waiting more than half an hour. I don't blame them, I understand waiting at Heathrow is very expensive, but I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure I don't end up waiting 30-40 minutes for the driver to show up.

AddisonLee seems to be slightly better in my experience, but is fully booked for the day I need it.

What do you use and what's your experience been?

What's the wait like with Ubers? I might try Ubers when it's just 1-2 people flying, but not when it's the whole family with pushchairs etc as we need the certainty of having booked a larger MPV.
beachdreaming
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Recommend an airport minicab service that doesn't make you wait hours for pickup? Uber on the spot?

Postby beachdreaming » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:20 am

We have used KV Cars for over ten years around London and for Airport pickups and drop offs. Driver is usually there waiting when we get out of customs and usually we have had a call/text while in baggage claim. We have never had a driver not show up or be late. We originally got the number from Tom's Kitchen when restaurants used to arrange taxis. KV Cars 129A Lavender Hill, London, SW11 5QJ. 02079246666
delsh
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Recommend an airport minicab service that doesn't make you wait hours for pickup? Uber on the spot?

Postby delsh » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:25 am

We have always pre-booked with Addison Lee but the last couple of times we were travelling back from Heathrow there were TfL strikes and AL wouldn’t take pre-bookings.

We decided to chance it with Uber, ordered one as soon as we picked up our luggage and both times the car was in the taxi area before we were and the journey cost a third of our previous pre-booked journeys, so I don’t think we’ll ever pre-book again now!
Pedro Ximenez
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pedro Ximenez » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:15 pm

9000 Cars - used them for years, they've been excellent

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.