Local active credit card fraudster

17 posts
atbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Local active credit card fraudster

Postby atbattersea » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Lori@Ayrton wrote:A woman phoned his bank pretending to be the account holder and the bank let her access his whole account (that's right, HIS account! Not sure how the bank didn't sense a fraudster there).
Most of these fraudsters are very good at social engineering, and the banks are pretty lax (even if they pretend otherwise). I had a problem with someone actually going into several banks and withdrawing cash over the counter pretending they were me (no fake ID or anything like that, just a clever trick with fooling the cashier that everything was alright - which I won't detail).

Then there's the other type who phone you pretending they are your bank or the police, and need to send a courier to collect your credit cards. They are just so brazen and confident that people just agree to it. I've tripped them up in the past though - just ask them a question that it's likely only a police officer would know, for example (what does s18 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act say?). They put the phone down, sharpish. :-)
BrianP
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Local active credit card fraudster

Postby BrianP » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:09 am

Today's 'Times' carries the depressing news that 'Action Fraud' actually uses an algorithm - not a human being - to decide whether or not a fraud should be investigated. It would seem (in my case) that the algorithm is incapable of identifying evidence which would clearly identify the criminal. Here is the online link (paywall, regrettably): http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/c ... 566237.ece

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.