Smart meter. Yes or no?

4 posts
Daisymum
Options:
Share this post on:

Smart meter. Yes or no?

Postby Daisymum » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:20 pm

I have just unwittingly (didn’t read the small print) switched to an energy tariff that demands I install a smart meter to get the deal. Does anyone have experience of using smart meters? Are they a good thing or should I cough up the exit fees to get out of my contract?
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Smart meter. Yes or no?

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 am

If I were you I would demand/request a 2nd generation smart meter. The problem with them is that if you get an older first gen smart meter, they are only compatible with the specific energy firm. Which means if you want to switch to an alternative supplier a year down the road, for example, the smart meter will no longer be fit for purpose (by that I mean, they will no longer be "smart", it will return to old style functionality) and if the next deal with a different supplier also requires a smart meter, theoretically you could be getting new smart meters every time you switch supplier. Apparently the 2nd gen smart meters are compatible with all suppliers so you should be fine.

Two helpful articles below.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smart-m ... -installed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-u ... ut-stalls/

If you're within 14 days of signing up to the new tariff, you might be able to get out of it.
Last edited by firsttimerSW11 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisymum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Daisymum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks. That's really helpful advice! Unfortunately the 14-day cooling off period is already up...
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 am

Smart meters are great in that no one comes to read them - until you change suppliers in which case they’re useless! I’m not sure what the downside is though as long as you don’t have to pay for them.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.