Salary for a live in nanny

1 post
joolia
Options:
Share this post on:

Salary for a live in nanny

Postby joolia » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi,

Just trying to make sure we are being fair. We have offered a live in nanny post to someone we know, trust and our children like. She has no formal childcare qualifications but has a lot of short term childcare experience previously during university holidays. She does not want to be a nanny long term but needs a job to save up. The hours are based on an average of 48 hours a week, my job involves long hours which come in bursts followed by a week or 2 off - but I know which days 6 months in advance so there is opportunity for the person to earn more money during these less intensive weeks working for another family and she can plan ahead. We have 2 children aged 6 and 3 years - the 6 year old is at a local school and the 3 year old will initially be at nursery 2 mornings a week moving up to 5 afternoons a week from January. All food, phone, internet, double room, bathroom etc offered, use of car available evenings and weekends if wanted. We plan to average the hours worked over a month - anything extra we would of course pay extra, anything less we would either ask for weekday babysitting or some light cleaning or preparing childrens food for freezer etc or just ignore (to make up for the irregular work pattern). Most weekends would be completely free. Usual nanny holiday entitlements etc

I am finding it difficult to calculate a fair wage balancing cost of living in / no formal qualifications / non driver - obviously our children are so important and we want her to feel valued and to enjoy the job but also there is such a range of salaries quoted I have lost sense of what is fair given the role and experience.

Any advice would be very gratefully received

With best wishes

Julia

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.