Has anyone filled out tax return on maternity leave?

3 posts
BV1977
Share this post on:

Has anyone filled out tax return on maternity leave?

Postby BV1977 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi,

I am self-employed and need to fill out a tax return for the year I was on maternity leave last year. But seeing I didn't actually earn anything I am loathe to shell out £400 to an accountant to submit it online on my behalf. Does anyone know what you can realistically offset during maternity leaving? I had to keep certain things going like phone etc but probably only worked two shifts. I also claimed maternity allowance but I presume this isn't taxed. I can't seem to find any advice online. Any tips gratefully received.
Thanks
BV
iamjules
Share this post on:

Re: Has anyone filled out tax return on maternity leave?

Postby iamjules » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 am

Hi- I'm self-employed and have found the HMRC office really helpful- they even talked me through part of my tax return while I was on the phone to them. If you ring them and explain your situation, they can tell you whether you'll need to complete a return. They also run really good free courses (about 3 hours each) including how to do self-employed returns. You can find your nearest one online. I did the one at Tolworth.
Hope that helps!
freshairmum
Share this post on:

Re: Has anyone filled out tax return on maternity leave?

Postby freshairmum » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 am

I second that, the people there are really helpful and if you call them before Christmas it's much easier to get through then in Jan (I only know this because I've just submitted mine). I'm also self-employed and have twice had part of a year on maternity leave but did earn something in the other part to support my expenses, so it was easier to fill in. However, at no point do they ask about maternity leave or allowance so it just looks like you don't earn much that year. My point is that, as the PP says, call them and explain the situation and then fill it in yourself, it's really easy. You will still be allowed some offsets as you've explained despite not earning anything.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.